You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export a Booklet to PDF Printer Spreads

Hallo bordercross, you have to tell me how you have arranged your booklet in publisher please.  HAve you created it as spreads?  or did you create it as a "Start Right" in your document setup?  If the latter then simply make a copy of your document, set up a new document as spreads but keep "start left" in the doc setup, then simply paste and it will appear as spreads, from here you can export to pdf as spreads.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

2 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Hallo bordercross, you have to tell me how you have arranged your booklet in publisher please.  HAve you created it as spreads?  or did you create it as a "Start Right" in your document setup?  If the latter then simply make a copy of your document, set up a new document as spreads but keep "start left" in the doc setup, then simply paste and it will appear as spreads, from here you can export to pdf as spreads.  

This would create designer spreads; he is asking for printer spreads.

That means post-imposition.

The only way to do that within Publisher right now is from the Print dialog.  On the Mac, you can use the Apple functionality to generate a PDF from the Print dialog after setting things appropriately to have it imposed.  If you are using Windoze, you will need to install a Print to PDF driver to get the same if you don't already have one (there is one included with Windoze 10, but it may need to be enabled).

Given that this is likely to produce PDFs that are not up to professional print standards, I do hope they eventually add the imposition features to the built-in Export PDF dialog as well.

The other option is to export single pages in design order then use a separate 3rd-party imposition program to convert that to printer spreads.

Thank you for responding. I created the document as reader spreads. I guess I was hoping the export feature would allow for the document to saved as either a PDF in Reader Spreads or in Printer Spreads. I can do what you suggested but that will entail recreating some of the pages because I have images going across both pages. If I move the pages then the image moves with one of the pages and is removed from the other.

• 11 months later...

Following up with FDE101, I used that print dialog box option to turn my booklet into a print-ready PDF, but my printer had major font issues and I didn't want to flatten the file in case he needed to make a change to the PDF. I wanted to do my file in reader spreads to post on digital formats but also be able to printout the booklet for distribution. Another approach that will work (very old school), if you have Acrobat Distiller you can print out you booklet using reader spreads and choose the booklet print in Affinity as a postscript. After the postscript has finished, take the file into acrobat distiller and convert to a pdf with your desired pdf profile preset. That's pretty much the way had to to do it back in the day with Quark to get pdfs before applications started enabling export to PDF. I suggested distiller because for some reason when you print to PDF from the print dialog box (MAC), it causes our RIP to crash and we have to restart the RIP and convert the problematic file to a JPG (ugh!).

I'm hoping Affinity will come up with a PDF setting where you can PDF to booklet from reader spreads to print ready spreads to take out the extra recreating documents because they have been setup in reader or printer spreads.

• 2 years later...