You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for MacOS - 1.7.0

• Staff

This build has been superseded by 1.7.1 announced here

We are pleased to announce a major update for the MacOS release of Affinity Designer, version 1.7.0

The changes in Affinity Designer for MacOS 1.7.0 over the last Affinity Designer patch 1.6.1 (1.6.5 PK) are as follows:

CHANGES SINCE LAST VERSION

Tools

• We've overhauled most of the core tools, adding subtle new features to make you more productive.
  • New Point Transform Tool allows you to scale and rotate objects from any node.
  • The Node Tool now contains a 'Transform Node' option which provides a containing box for the selected nodes and allows for more freeform editing of the nodes.
  • New 'Cube' grid setup mode (take a look in 'View' -> 'Grid and Axis Manager...').
  • Pen tool now has a 'rubber band' mode and also a mode to allow future curves to be added to the current object's curves (for example, the character 'a' is constructed of two curves in a single 'curve object' and this mode makes that construction simpler).
  • Node tool can now auto-snap nodes if you drag a node from one curve over the top of a node from another (selected) curve and pause, it will offer to snap to the same geometry as the node you're hovering over (ie,  modify the on and off-curve nodes to match). This is really useful for trying to reconstruct areas of one curve from another curve.
  • Node tool now allows for lasso selection of nodes by holding the Alt/Option key and dragging a selection lasso.
  • Pencil tool now offers a 'sculpt' mode that allows for extending or manipulating curves in a more natural way. More to come in this area soon.
  • Many tools now allow for 'Alignment widgets' which you can toggle the visibility of in the context toolbar. When enabled you can visually adjust the alignment or even, for example, 'align to centre, snapped to the left edge of this object' by simply click/dragging.
  • Fill tool correctly allows editing of skewed fill handles and newly-created skewed fills draw much nicer now.
  • Ruler origin can be edited by simply dragging the area where the rulers intersect each other - it can even be snapped onto objects in the document.
  • Guides can be edited in most tools by simply dragging a guide in the ruler area.
  • Grid setup is now more interactive: origin can be dragged, axis scale adjusted and angle adjusted on-document, complete with snapping to objects and angles in the document to help you reconstruct useful grids from finished artworks or sketches.
  • By enabling 'Edit in Plane' on the new Isometric Panel, tools can edit objects and appear to make those edits along the currently active plane - extremely useful for artists who enjoy working with any axonometric projections.
  • You can now drag the rotation centre point (when enabled on the context toolbar) while holding Ctrl and it will translate the object - this is actually very useful for positioning and snapping objects relative to others.
  • Shapes tools now have presets so you can create your own favourite shape setups and more easily use them again.
  • There are just far too many subtle tool changes to mention here, but hopefully you'll find the tools much improved :)

General

• Arrowheads are now available in the Stroke Panel.
  • New Appearance Panel allows for multiple strokes and fills on a single shape.
  • HDR / EDR monitor support
  • New brushes, styles and assets are now shipped with the product.
  • Visible bleed (accessed from the View menu) so you can more easily design into the bleed area - a common feature request.
  • “Alternate futures” for document history have been added. Traditionally, if you roll back the undo history then do something else all your changes after that point are lost. Designer will now display a small branch icon in the history tab when you do this. Pressing that button will cycle between all the different “futures” after that history entry - meaning you will never lose work you have done.
  • New 'Isometric Panel' makes it easy to setup and work with various axonometric projections within the application.
  • HEIF images can now be loaded directly into Designer. If they contain a depth map, this will also be loaded as a second layer. Because depth maps are typically lower resolution than the main image, optional “smart” upsampling will be performed.
  • Designer now supports custom document presets - a popular feature request.
  • A new blend mode - Linear Burn - has been added.
  • Layers Panel now allows you to tag individual layers with a colour and display thumbnails with transparent backgrounds and at different sizes.
  • New “Move inside / outside” commands have been added - useful for quickly clipping/unclipping.
  • New "Merge curves/Separate curves" commands.
  • Grids now have an editable number of angle subdivisions.
  • The Hard Mix blend mode has been improved.
  • Numerous text improvements have been made - including new features such as bullets and numbering.
  • Significant PDF import / export improvements and fixes.
  • Improved Freehand import slightly - failing to read all of a file shouldn't force it to produce a 'failed to load' response, instead we just load the bits that we *could* read
  • New splash screen and Persona icons

Brushes

• Designer 1.7 introduces a new “sub-brush” mechanism, developed in conjunction with Paolo Limoncelli (DAUB® Brushes). This exciting feature allows any raster brush to have a list of other brushes attached which will draw at the same time. Each sub-brush has a fully separate and customisable set of dynamics. You can control when the sub-brushes are drawn and how they blend with the main brush.
  • Symmetry (up to 32-way) is now supported - including on-canvas controls and optional mirroring.
  • Wet edges and accumulation are now available on colour brushes and brushes with HSL variance.
  • Brushes with multiple nozzle textures have always chosen the nozzle at random. In 1.7, the nozzle choice has a dynamic controller and ramp for greater control.
  • All pixel brush tools now support left and right arrow keys for rotation - a common feature request.

Adjustments

• The HSL adjustment layer has been rewritten. It now supports custom hue ranges, a new algorithm, new UI and picker controls.
  • The Levels adjustment layer now supports output levels - a common feature request.
  • The White Balance adjustment layer has been rewritten.
  • The Selective Colour adjustment layer has been rewritten.
  • PSD import / export of adjustments has been improved.
  • The Vibrance adjustment layer has been rewritten.
  • The Recolour adjustment layer has gained a lightness slider.

Misc

•  There is currently new free content available to claim in the Welcome Screen

This thread is for commenting on this announcement. Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Designer Bugs on MacOS section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

For purchases from the Mac App Store: These are done automatically (next time you run after it is available in the store). In the Mac app store, go to the updates panel and press CMD+R they might appear. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world sometimes taking up to 24 hours.

For purchases from the Affinity Store: Each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option "Check for Updates", or it can be downloaded from here (that link is NOT for Mac app store purchases). Alternatively you can log into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the download button in there.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

ACE - this time I made sure I saved all my beta assets collections, shortcuts, styles and custom brushes, now all sorted and working like a charm

Brilliant work  :D

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

21 minutes ago, pitygacio said:

This is greaaat! I'm trying to update my Affinity Designer to the new version but for some reason I don't find how/where. In the website I can only see the option to buy it :(

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

For purchases from the Affinity Store: Each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option "Check for Updates", or it can be downloaded from here [that link is NOT for Mac app store users]

For purchases from the Mac App Store: These are done automatically (next time you run after it is available in the store). In the Mac app store, go to the updates panel and press CMD+R they might appear. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world sometimes taking up to 24 hours.

Thanks a looot for this update. I found out the when I save the files originally made in 1.6.1 version in 1.7, the file size dramatically drop down e.g the file where I did whole comic book was 1.54 GB big, now it is only 117 MB. This is just amazing!!! B|

Note: Hopefully mentioned file downsize is the improvement of 1.7 version not a bug and I didn't lose any data :o

• Staff
1 hour ago, Helge Skogh said:

Where is the problem?

That does not seem right, but this is not the place for support. From the opening post...

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Designer Bugs on MacOS section

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

All of the sudden, Designer (Beta) is asking for my Product keys for Photo and Designer. I HAVE purchased both from the App Store however, my Affinity Acct. does not reflect it. So WHERE are my Product Keys? I even have my receipts from Apple. This is just weird and very frustrating! Is there some secret hiding place that I can find my "product keys?" How is it that I can open the Actual Application side by side but BETA doesn't recognize that I own it?

First of all, congratulations to the whole team for the amazing improvements! I was really looking forward to the latest release!
Also, during testing the beta I got to build some assets which I'd like to export and import back to the latest version. Unfortunately, the "product key" screen prompts and I can't find my serial numbers in my Affinity account (nor in mail or in the web itself). It's the same issue that happens to VISION:

22 hours ago, VISION said:

All of the sudden, Designer (Beta) is asking for my Product keys for Photo and Designer. I HAVE purchased both from the App Store however, my Affinity Acct. does not reflect it. So WHERE are my Product Keys? I even have my receipts from Apple. This is just weird and very frustrating! Is there some secret hiding place that I can find my "product keys?" How is it that I can open the Actual Application side by side but BETA doesn't recognize that I own it?

So, Is there any chance I can get the assets and color palettes back or are they gone?
Thanks in advance to the Affinity staff!

• Staff
44 minutes ago, aenimanu said:

So, Is there any chance I can get the assets and color palettes back or are they gone?

As soon as there is a 1.7.1 beta you will be able to access the beta assets etc. I would expect that quite soon

There may also be a workaround by moving beta files to release folders but I'm not in front of my computer right now so perhaps others will step in.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

20 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

As soon as there is a 1.7.1 beta you will be able to access the beta assets etc. I would expect that quite soon

There may also be a workaround by moving beta files to release folders but I'm not in front of my computer right now so perhaps others will step in.

Thanks Patrick, I'll stay tuned 

• Staff

@SF Charter Boat

The last 2 paragraphs of the announcement (this thread) describe how to update.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 for macOS is now live. This thread is now locked

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd