You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0 App Store version keeps crashing at app-start

Hope I do not spoil the party, but after installing the 1.7 version update from the Mac App Store I keep getting crashes when I start up the program. If needed I can reproduce and send crashreport. 

I'm on Mojave 10.14.5 (18F132)

I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it. Same problem...

• Staff

Also would you be able to go to \Users\username\Library\Containers\ and rename the folder 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner' to 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old' and see if that allows the application to run up. 

If so would you still be able to attach the crash report along with a zipped up copy of that folder please?

Thanks!

On 6/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, Sean P said:

Also would you be able to go to \Users\username\Library\Containers\ and rename the folder 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner' to 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old' and see if that allows the application to run up. !

That did the trick! Running now! Yay! 

The crash-report attached. The affinitydesigner.old zipfile is about 150 mb's! Would you still like to have it? 

crash-87092.dmp

• Staff

All customised settings are temporarily gone. This is why I asked to rename your folder - you still have them just in a different folder not currently being read by the application.

If you could both upload the renamed folder I can pass it on to development and we can try and narrow down what exactly inside it is causing the crash. Once we've done that we should be able to help you get all your settings back with minimal (if any) loss.

3 minutes ago, Sean P said:

All customised settings are temporarily gone. This is why I asked to rename your folder - you still have them just in a different folder not currently being read by the application.

If you could both upload the renamed folder I can pass it on to development and we can try and narrow down what exactly inside it is causing the crash. Once we've done that we should be able to help you get all your settings back with minimal (if any) loss.

I would do so, but the file is 10 gb :S

• Staff

Martin K,

Thank you very much for the file. It is being caused specifically by your Vector Brushes. Looking at them in 1.6, there seems to be a brush with no actual textures in that is causing the crash. I'll get the crash reported. 

The good news is that I was able to remove the rogue brush in 1.6 which will allow you to run up with out any data loss. If you delete the newly created com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner and then rename com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old back to com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner

Once you've done this go into that folder and then go into \Data\Library\Application Support\user\ and then replace the vector_brushes.propcol file with the one attached to this post.

That should allow you to run up the app without it crashing and all of your settings retained.

Postmadesign,

Would you be able to try putting your old folder back like I described above, but instead of replacing the vector_brushes.propcol file just delete it (but first make a backup of this file) to ensure we avoid as minimal brush loss as possible.

If this does run up could you attach that file please? If it still doesn't run up, it is another file causing the issue. Would you be able to go into the \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner\Data\Library\Application Support\user\ folder and look at the file sizes. If these are reasonable would you be able to attach all of these files please? I imagine the bulk of that 10gb is likely to be in the ...\Data\Library\Application Support\autosave\ folder.

Thanks,
Sean

vector_brushes.propcol

6 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

@Sean P   I'M SORRY I PUT THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION 

tip.gif 

If you post a message and decide later that you don’t want it to remain visible, you can use the ‘Options’ link below the posted message to access the ‘Hide’ option. Choosing that option will cause your post to be hidden from everybody except the moderators.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

tip.gif 

If you post a message and decide later that you don’t want it to remain visible, you can use the ‘Options’ link below the posted message to access the ‘Hide’ option. Choosing that option will cause your post to be hidden from everybody except the moderators.

@Alfred Thanks I didn't know this. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:50 AM, Sean P said:

Postmadesign,

Would you be able to try putting your old folder back like I described above, but instead of replacing the vector_brushes.propcol file just delete it (but first make a backup of this file) to ensure we avoid as minimal brush loss as possible.

If this does run up could you attach that file please? If it still doesn't run up, it is another file causing the issue. Would you be able to go into the \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner\Data\Library\Application Support\user\ folder and look at the file sizes. If these are reasonable would you be able to attach all of these files please? I imagine the bulk of that 10gb is likely to be in the ...\Data\Library\Application Support\autosave\ folder.

Thanks,
Sean

vector_brushes.propcol

Thanks for your response, but I decided to just go with setting AD up anew. Most of the brushes and assets I had installed I had backed up somewhere, So I had to reinstall them, but as I wanted to get on with it and use the app, I just accepted this. It was not ideal, but thats what it is sometimes. As my older iMacs HD is filling up rather rapidly, I decided to get rid of the 10gb file and start anew. Everything now works as it should, as far as I can see.