You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0 Designer & Wacom tablet issues

Hello!

So, these new versions look great and I'd love to start using them, but I have some weird problems going on since the first beta release.

I use my wacom tablet all the time, and I'm used to scaling brushes holding Alt + Lclick & Rclick, which I do after assigning such a modifier to one of my wacom pen's button.

It works perfectly in the stable 1.6 versions of Designer and Photo, also on Photo 1.7.0.367, the latest release. But whenever I use the same command on Designer 1.7.0.367, it doesn't work. It just paints, as if Lclicking and dragging. This is one problem.

Also, all of a sudden, the software stops getting instant feedback from my brushes/pen. I click and drag, but it only updates when I release the click.

Did anyone else encounter these bugs? I can upload stuff to showcase, if needed.

Thanks

Hi, 

Not sure whether this is exactly the same issue but have a look at this thread here

Can only make suggestions to try and get around it:

1. Watch the video on youtube (Video Link)...
2. Open Wacom Tablet Properties and 'click' on a few things...has released the pen in AD and AP (so it works again)
3. Bit more drastic...Disable 'Windows Ink' not just in Wacom Tablet properties but in Windows settings. (Source windows pen and ink)..Uncheck it all and remember to set the dropdowns to nothing...need to select then and select from list (restart)
4. Make sure drivers are up to date....There was a fix for this type of issue in the latest release....

May not be any of these but worth a try..:):)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

On 6/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, StuartRc said:

Hi, 

Not sure whether this is exactly the same issue but have a look at this thread here

Can only make suggestions to try and get around it:

1. Watch the video on youtube (Video Link)...
2. Open Wacom Tablet Properties and 'click' on a few things...has released the pen in AD and AP (so it works again)
3. Bit more drastic...Disable 'Windows Ink' not just in Wacom Tablet properties but in Windows settings. (Source windows pen and ink)..Uncheck it all and remember to set the dropdowns to nothing...need to select then and select from list (restart)
4. Make sure drivers are up to date....There was a fix for this type of issue in the latest release....

May not be any of these but worth a try..:):)

So, I used to do all of these when I was using PS, and it worked nicely. About Affinity, I still have some problems concerning Wacom and Designer 1.7+. For example, change brush size with a shortcut, like shown below. In both versions, I'm doing the same thing, which is holding Alt + Wacom button that I assigned to be both L/R click simultaneously:

36 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

I'm doing the same thing, which is holding Alt + Wacom button that I assigned to be both L/R click simultaneously

Try changing that Wacom button to be Right click only.  That is how mine works

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have not assigned the pen buttons to keyboard short cuts...maybe that's why I don't see this issue (inc/dec brush size= '[' ']') -square brackets...(Pixel persona only)which is what is assigned to my keyboard when I assigned these to left and right click... worked fine for me...but I normally just use the keyboard....(Personal prefs I suppose) sorry can't be much more help

So  Left=[ and Right =] to change brush size..worked

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

22 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Try changing that Wacom button to be Right click only.  That is how mine works

It doesn't work for me. This assignment I've made works perfectly in old Designer versions, on Designer 1.7+ pixel persona and in Photo 1.7+. It's just not working on Designer 1.7+ Designer Persona.

22 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

I have not assigned the pen buttons to keyboard short cuts...maybe that's why I don't see this issue (inc/dec brush size= '[' ']') -square brackets...(Pixel persona only)which is what is assigned to my keyboard when I assigned these to left and right click... worked fine for me...but I normally just use the keyboard....(Personal prefs I suppose) sorry can't be much more help

So  Left=[ and Right =] to change brush size..worked

Yeah, [ and ] are old shortcuts, but I could never feel comfortable (or fast enough) using them, since Photoshop times. I just got used to adjusting it with the method I showed before. But thanks for your post anyway, Stuart!

So, let me update you about it:

I was testing the same shortcut with the mouse and it seems to work like this:

The command to increase/decrease the brush size is: Alt + LClick + RClick & drag while on vector brush.

The thing is, for it to work, you have to press Alt, then right click, then left click, then drag. If you left click before the right click, it'll simply paint, the way I showed before.

When it comes to assigning a Wacom shortcut, I cannot change the order. It saves as LClick + RClick, so it behaves as if pressing LClick first.

If you guys change to Pixel Persona, you'll see it works both ways.

It might be a simple bug to fix, right? I don't know if anyone from support is actually reading this. :/

Assign Right-click only to the button

Hold Alt key then press and hold  the button (which is right-click)

Then put pen nib on tablet (which is left-click)

Do not put pen nib on tablet before pressing button as that will do left-click first then right click

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Assign Right-click only to the button

Hold Alt key then press and hold  the button (which is right-click)

Then put pen nib on tablet (which is left-click)

Do not put pen nib on tablet before pressing button as that will do left-click first then right click

That's a good workaround, Carl, but I don't feel like it's the same result. It works properly, but I've been doing this move without touching the pen nib on the tablet for years, and I still do it with every Affinity software but Affinity Designer 1.7+ (in Designer Persona). Also, the response was quite slow and laggy for me doing this method you recommended. Still, I hadn't think about this possible solution, so thanks!

Still waiting for them to make it work as before.