You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

file not loading completely

When I open a large file, it is not loading completely. Some pages remain blank or partially loaded. The software is so sluggish it is impossible to work on.

The latest build 376 has fixed the problem of exporting to a pdf but now since the file isn't loading completely, it is exporting some blank pages.

Any suggestions on how I can get the file to completely load? It used to load just fine a few builds ago. I have restarted, cleanup up the computer, etc. Still no luck.

The files (.apub and .pdf) posted here that partially loads would be handy.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi pdh, I have the file that you sent when I logged the export issue, which is what I've been using.

If you go to Document > Resource Manager are any resources missing? That might effect some pages exporting blank since alot of pages simply contain images from what I've seen

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I keep the file on an external hard drive (the application is on the desktop or laptop hard drive). Then sometimes I hook the external hard drive to either my desktop or my laptop. Would this cause a problem?

• Staff

As far as I know we will be putting a preflight warning in for exporting with missing images, as you will get blank pages in your PDF if all that is contained on that page is an image we don't currently have access to.

I would re-link all your missing images and let me know if the export still isn't correct.

What you do would cause a problem if you insert images from one machine and leave them linked, since them other machine will not have access to them. I'd suggest either embedding images if you intend to move the file over to different machines, or ensuring all resources are saved next to the file.

• Staff

Yes they will, they are linked to the document but the link is no longer valid so we no longer have access to those images. 

So when you export we only have some very low sample "versions" of the images that we save in the file to export, not the actual images you inserted.

I will take a guess you inserted them from one machine and the other machine doesn't have access to them, or they were possibly moved to a new location after you inserted them

When you say make sure that "all resource are saved next to the file". I assume you mean on the same drive (in this case an external hard drive). But do you also mean within the same Folder?

Since I'm always working from the same external hard drive, I assume that I moved these files at some point, though they are still on the same external hard drive.

Is there another way to link these up rather than using Resource Manager? The application is so slow that I can't get it done.

Re-entering each image/page? Some other way?

• Staff

The easiest way will be in Resource Manager, unfortunately image heavy documents can cause high memory usage so it may be slow.

When linking however the app should be smart, and if you re link one missing image if it finds any other in the folder you link to it should auto link them.

Hallelujah. That worked. I linked all the images (200+) to their file and then embedded them. It now loads fast enough and will export to a pdf. Fantastic.

So, with the images embedded, can I move or rename the folders where the images reside without creating a problem with the document? As I understand it, the images are now in the document itself rather than on my hard drive.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.