You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer persona in AP

Hi everyone.

I'm new to affinity , just downloaded the trial for Designer and Publisher. (i want to stop my Adobe subscription as soon as possible)

Anyway, i want to know if it will be possible to do in Publisher (together with the Designer persona) every thing what i can get done in Designer.

[i see for example that i can apply the same amazing bevel effects, corner options, line options, etc... and its the same easy to edit tho nodes. - in In Design its much more difficult to edit vectors then AI]

Thanks in advance!

Serif have not yet described the capabilities of the Photo Persona or the Designer Persona for Affinity Publisher. Until they decide to either release a description of those capabilties, or enable the Personas, we won't know for sure what they can do.

Note that Designer 1.7 has 3 Personas: the Designer Persona, the Pixel Persona, and the Export Persona. (Your trial version probably calls the Designer Persona the Draw Persona.)

In Publisher we can see that there will be a Designer Persona. One might guess that it will have all the capabilities of the Designer Persona in Affinity Designer, but that's only a guess. Even if the two Designer Personas match, that would still leave you (in Publisher) without the capabilities provided by Designer's Pixel and Export Personas.

So the likely answer to your question is that no, Publisher and its Designer Persona won't let you accomplish everything you can do in the Designer Application, due to those missing Personas.

However, I think that Serif have said that for the Designer Persona to work you will also need a purchased copy of the Designer application. So if there is something you need to do that you can't do in Publisher and its Designer Persona, you could simply use the full Designer application instead.

But remember, there's still a lot of guesswork in this answer, pending more information from Serif, or the availability of the new Personas in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

However, I think that Serif have said that for the Designer Persona to work you will also need a purchased copy of the Designer application. So if there is something you need to do that you can't do in Publisher and its Designer Persona, you could simply use the full Designer application instead.

Thanks for your reply!

My question is truly not about which program to purchase, if i'm going with Affinityi will buy all 3 applications (by now i'm provided according to the no Right To Left support)

My question is basically which program would be best for me to design posters and brochures, according to what I found that Designer dosn't includes pages yet (its easier for me to use pages instead of artboards).

Thanks anyway.

20 hours ago, pointery said:

My question is basically which program would be best for me to design posters and brochures, according to what I found that Designer dosn't includes pages yet (its easier for me to use pages instead of artboards).

For single page documents, either photo or designer depending on the style. If it's a multipage document, it's publisher, because it allows you to flow and control text between pages, and also wrap text around images.

23 hours ago, Thomas_Photo said:

I think that the two Personas, might just open the current selection in either Photo or Designer.

No, that has been suggested before and it has been confirmed that this is not the case.