You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 11:38 AM, luismgarcia said:

Someone knows if the tables in AP will allow applying simple formulas of numerical calculation

Hello @luismgarcia,

welcome to the forum.

The answer is no. The reason may be simple. APub is a relatively new product, basically released to the public only a couple of weeks ago. It seems it was important to have tables as layout element but to expect to have numerical calculations in this early stage of an application that is mainly aimed at presentation is a little too optimistic. I'm not saying it's wrong to have this eventually. It's just not something that is part of the current feature set.

I suggest to look into ways to import (copy and paste) tabular data into APub and for now do the calculations outside and update if needed (I know this is a poor workaround).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I would also need this feature in a DTP program like Affinity Publisher. If "Adobe Indesign" does not have this, at least Affinity should have the ability to work with (at least simple) formulas and calculations. Thank you in advance!

Edited by bg-affinity

It’s interesting that no-one in this thread who has requested ‘simple’ calculations/formulas to be implemented has defined what they mean by ‘simple’ calculations.

If the developers only implemented addition, subtraction, division and multiplication, would that be enough?
Or would people want trigonometric functions too?
And/or would people want powers and roots?
And/or would people want to be able to access the ‘values’ of other table cells?
And/or would people want financial formulas to be available?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

The OP even asked for “something similar to what Excel does” which I certainly wouldn’t call ‘simple’.

Ask ten people what they consider to be ‘simple’ calculations and you will get twenty answers. (Not accurate values.)

I really can’t see the Affinity suite getting this sort of functionality anytime soon so the best bet, for the short/mid-term future at least, is probably to use other software to create the calculated tables, see below.

For anyone who can’t wait for this ‘simple’ functionality to be added: If you need to do table-based calculations then you can do so in your preferred spreadsheet and then export to a PDF which can then be placed – linked – into your document, and any future export of that same document to the same PDF will automatically cause the placed document to be replaced in its new, updated, form.

My own feeling is that, as a DTP app, APub does not need calculation functions. As GarryP says, it is difficult to agree just what are basic functions.

It would certainly be nice if the way tables are displayed were improved, especially allowing them to span multiple pages, but if I want to include a table in a publication, I'd rather use a dedicated app, such as Calc or Excel, to produce the basic table, then import it into APub to format it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I will never understand why people in such forums are arguing against feature requests. This seems obviously to be a serious requirement for certain users, so why bring arguments against it? Certainly not every feature is for everyone, but I would expect some tolerance towards requests not fitting exactly individual and personal needs, as I am doing with requests of  others not of relevance for myself. Just my 2 eurocents of opinion here! ;-) 

Edited by architectureshooting

11 hours ago, architectureshooting said:

I will never understand why people in such forums are arguing against feature requests.

Because if every new feature, that anyone asks for, was implemented we'd end up with bloated, buggy apps, just like the old "Plus" range that Serif used to sell and have now scrapped! Not to mention that someone has to develop all these new features!

It's not so much a matter of not wanting certain new features per se, rather that, with the dozens (hundreds?) of such requests, people should be free to express their opinion regarding what they don't see a real need for. Only so many new features can, realistically, be developed and added, so it would seem to me that people should be able to argue both for and against which features they feel should be prioritised. Having said all this, these arguments are really moot, as Serif are the ones who will ultimately decide how they will develop their products. However, they may be influenced by members of these forums if they can see that some features are widely needed and others are not.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad