You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing PDF with unavailable fonts - preserving fonts (appearance/convert to curves) option

Hey!

I am wondering whether it is possible to place a PDF document without having the fonts replaced automatically.

My question is now: Is (or will there be) there an option to convert all text to curves when placing a PDF document in AP?

Would save a lot of time. Now I have to convert such PDFs before in another (open source) vector program to preserve its appearance. Affinity Designer doesn't provide this option either.

Best regards,
Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

25 minutes ago, ChrisSmere said:

My question is now: Is (or will there be) there an option to convert all text to curves when placing a PDF document in AP?

I doubt this, but what I do know? I guess this would make the documents overly complex. I am waiting for a passthrough placing of document files like PDF, EPS etc. without the edit option.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

41 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I doubt this, but what I do know? I guess this would make the documents overly complex. I am waiting for a passthrough placing of document files like PDF, EPS etc. without the edit option.

Ah, that might be even better. I meant actually such an option. I know that's difficult especially with all the effects and transparency issues.

For now I am helping myself by converting it in an open source vector program that is capable of converting text into paths during the import. And if that doesn't work (because of problematic effects) I convert it to an Image (again using another open source photo editing software as Affinity Photo behaves like AP and AD) to preserve the appearance.

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

Made some tests and the results won't help you, but are interesting.

When you place an EPS file, the file is still editable, but fonts are converted into curves, even when the font is installed on your machine. This comes close to what you wanted initially. Is PDFLib used for importing the EPS? If yes, why is there a different handling of fonts?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

When you place an EPS file, the file is still editable, but fonts are converted into curves, even when the font is installed on your machine

That's interesting indeed.

But normally I get PDF documents to incorporate into layouts and not EPS files. :-/

I really do hope that Serif come up with some way of opening PDFs to edit them, but keeping them looking right, sooner rather than later. Ideally it would be great if they could use embedded fonts, but, failing that, at least converting the fonts to curves would keep the PDF looking right! PDFs are one of the main ways of exchanging documents, it's a real pity that the Affinity range can't handle them better.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

13 minutes ago, ChrisSmere said:

But normally I get PDF documents to incorporate into layouts and not EPS files. :-/

Print PDF to file e.g. with Ghostscript printer driver and place the file. Same result as placing the EPS. But anyway an extra step to take.

------

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

PDFs are one of the main ways of exchanging documents

PDF is intended as "digital paper" - a way to exchange documents that cannot be edited.

The fact that many applications now allow you to edit them does not make it a good interchange format if the documents are to be modified.

Not to reduce the value of what you are asking for... but consider that it is a bit of a kludge that this is working at all.

45 minutes ago, fde101 said:

PDF is intended as "digital paper" - a way to exchange documents that cannot be edited.

The fact that many applications now allow you to edit them does not make it a good interchange format if the documents are to be modified

I do take your point, but Serif suggest this as the way to open their old/legacy files in the Affinity apps, so it would be nice if they made it work a bit better! :/

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

59 minutes ago, fde101 said:

It WAS intended to be THE digital paper. That's the way I'd put it

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The purpose of PDF as defined first by Adobe and then by the ISO Committee that took over the specification has never changed.

What I've said is just the way as I myself see and experience it in my daily work life. The intended purpose and its actual use are two different things. :-)

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, MikeW said:

The purpose of PDF as defined first by Adobe and then by the ISO Committee that took over the specification has never changed.

Yes.

The problem is customers send us PDF and ask later to correct/modify them… but they do this also with flatened images :S 

It would be usefull if AP (?) was able to open a PDF converting text to pixels, AD (?) was able to open them converting text to curves and APub (?) with passthrough. If we want to keep the same dinstinctions as some other products, or better: if the 3 options were available for the 3 apps. 

8 minutes ago, Wosven said:

It would be usefull if AP (?) was able to open a PDF converting text to pixels, AD (?) was able to open them converting text to curves and APub (?) with passthrough. If we want to keep the same dinstinctions as some other products, or better: if the 3 options were available for the 3 apps. 

Of course to all you wrote. And in time, not my timing, it will likely all happen.