You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Deselect All Layers

Is there any way to deselect all layers so when I add a live filter it is added as a separate layer instead of as a child layer WITHOUT having to go in to Assistant Manager and change the Adding filter layer to selection dropdown each time. In PS you simply click on the blank area below the layers ( shown in yellow ) to deselect all the layers.

deselect_layers.jpg

With the Move Tool active

Click anywhere on the Pasteboard to deselect the layer(s)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, razorpig said:

In PS you simply click on the blank area below the layers ( shown in yellow ) to deselect all the layers.

The same thing works for me in Affinity Photo. Does this not work for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@carl123 Sorry I didn't mean to ignore you ! Just noticed your comment after submitting my last post.

Yes I realize I can do this, but as mentioned in my previous post, in many instances this is very impractical, especially if working on details ( have to select the move tool, zoom out, click on the pasteboard, then zoom back in to where I was before ). Also if I'm working on a cropped image which extends way beyond the canvas I have to zoom out even more, and then back in again. All this just to deselect a layer?

Are you aware that there is a menu command...

Select > Deselect Layers

You can add a keyboard shortcut to it if that is easier for you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, razorpig said:

@carl123 That's a much more practical workaround, but still a workaround :-(

Many thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by calling it a workaround when using keyboard shortcuts are normally faster than most other methods as long as you memorize your keybind. Also, pressing "V" for the Move tool and clicking outside the canvas where no objects exist takes very little time to do, and it isn't limited either to the amount of layers being in the Layers panel, which leaves no space to click inside the Layers panel to deselect if you have enough layers to fill up the entire workspace.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing such a feature implemented. Personally I would like to see alt+drag layers to duplicate get added from the Photoshop layers system.

Edit: Just so you know, you can actually deselect single layers by just ctrl+L clicking the layer you have selected. It doesn't deselect every layer (only the one you clicked), but you can just L click a single layer first and then follow up with ctrl+L click and you get the same results as using the "deselect all layers" menu option. Just remember not to click on the thumbnail for the layer, or you will create a selection based on the empty alpha around your object (press the ESC key or undo if you do such a selection and it will disappear). Hope that helps.

@Frozen Death Knight - Thank you very much ! ctrl+L click is a very neat solution. I only called it a workaround because it appears to be working as desired on the MAC, but not on Windows, so any solution no matter how quick is a means of getting around that fact.

Incidentally, how did you find the ctrl-L click option? I'm looking for a menu item with this functionality and shortcut but can't see it anywhere?

7 hours ago, razorpig said:

@Frozen Death Knight - Thank you very much ! ctrl+L click is a very neat solution. I only called it a workaround because it appears to be working as desired on the MAC, but not on Windows, so any solution no matter how quick is a means of getting around that fact.

Incidentally, how did you find the ctrl-L click option? I'm looking for a menu item with this functionality and shortcut but can't see it anywhere?

You're welcome! : )

Affinity Photo has a bunch of modifier commands when clicking on layers, so I tried that out to see what they did in case we missed some feature that could help you. Also, other softwares with a file organizing system have the option to toggle select by just ctrl + L clicking the file (try doing the same while using Windows and click on any file on your desktop, since it works there too), so Affinity is consistent with those standards.

Here are a few other commands that are also pretty handy while clicking on layers:

1. Alt + L click to only show and work on a single layer without obstructing view (works while clicking on the thumbnail or in other areas of the layer).

2. Double L click the thumbnail to make the zoom focus on the selected layer.

3. Ctrl + L click to select everything with no transparency.

4. Ctrl + shift + L click to do the same as above, but also allow you to select other layers as well to add to your selection.

5. Ctrl + shift + alt + L click to make a selection based on luminosity rather than opacity. You can add selections by clicking other layers as well. 100% black will have no transparency, hence no selection in that area if you make a New Fill Layer with that selection active. 100% white areas will make 100% transparency if you do the same again.

Btw, if that method of yours in Photoshop actually works on Mac and not on Windows, maybe you should do a bug report about it.

@Frozen Death Knight Thanks again :-) Some very useful commands indeed, especially the first one to only show and work on a single layer - love that one !

I thought I'd already logged a bug report but just checked and I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum - put it under Suggestions for Affinity Photo instead. If it doesn't get any attention there I'll re-post in the bugs forum later. Think the team has rather a lot on presently with the new releases !

Many thanks again. Much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, razorpig said:

@Frozen Death Knight Thanks again :-) Some very useful commands indeed, especially the first one to only show and work on a single layer - love that one !

I thought I'd already logged a bug report but just checked and I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum - put it under Suggestions for Affinity Photo instead. If it doesn't get any attention there I'll re-post in the bugs forum later. Think the team has rather a lot on presently with the new releases !

Many thanks again. Much appreciated.

What can I say except, you're welcome! :)

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2019 at 10:17 AM, razorpig said:

Is there any way to deselect all layers so when I add a live filter it is added as a separate layer instead of as a child layer WITHOUT having to go in to Assistant Manager and change the Adding filter layer to selection dropdown each time. In PS you simply click on the blank area below the layers ( shown in yellow ) to deselect all the layers.

deselect_layers.jpg

To deselect all layers you can use the menu (Select > Deselect Layers) as mentioned, but another way is to select only one layer and next Ctrl+D plus click on the name (not the thumbnail) of this layer.