You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Layouting a Text

Hi A-Team,

I found some problems when testing Publisher how it works with text:

1. When I resize the page from A4 > A5, text frames do not resize automatically to fit the margins. When I try to do it manually on a master page, sometimes text dissapear in the document so I have to place it again.
  2. Column guides are not shown even "View > Show Column Guides" is checked. To see them you need to check "View > Show Text Flow". And when this is selected you can't see the text flow arrow until you select a text frame.
  3. Sometimes, Publisher crashes when I want to adjust column width in the "Text Frame" pannel on an unsaved document. I can't reproduce it always. (see the crash report)
  4. When I create a new master page and assign it to some pages, the text doesn't flow on these pages. I have to relink the text frames from "Master A" to "Master B".
  5. When I want to delete one master page I got a message that the text on pages assigned to that master page will dissapear. It is not correct. You must offer a user to replace this master page with some other one. Also, you must, by default, to add master page "None" beside master page "A" when a new document is created.

And now, concerning me, working with cyrilic text.

Because there is no Macedonian hyphenation dictionaries in Publisher (as in ID and QXP) I can't hyphenate the text even if I have activated this option in text styles. In ID and QXP I use Russian hyphenation dictionary and it is accurate in more than 95% of cases.

In Publisher, under "Text Styles > Character > Language > Character Language" I found:

1. Spelling
  2. Hyphenation
  3. Typography script
  4. Typography language

and only in the last one there is "Macedonian". But, when I set it, it does not works because I can't find it under "Hyphenation". Please, can you, at least, include "Russian" language into "Hyphenation" to be able to use Publisher properly?

Also, please be so kind and explain to me what are all these 4 languages setting for?

fdebfbc4-f30c-42de-a562-ca0348435a0a.dmp

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

#1 - The margins aren't being scaled here, it's a bit of a debate but we recently ensured guides scaled so I will get this logged. Thanks for the report
#2 - This works for me, are you testing this against columns and not column guides?
#3 - I haven't reproduced this yet, will look into this a bit more and see if I can reproduce the crash
#4 - Can you attach an example document? 
#5 - I'm not sure I understand what's wrong here? We warn the user of the danger of the action they are about to take, so they can cancel the action and replace the master instead if they would prefer to do that? I don't understand your last sentence, can you clarify what you mean please.

Regarding the hyphenation issue, you can add hunspell spelling and hyphenation dictionaries of any language of your choosing, there's some information in the help that advises you how to do this.

Those 4 language setting you mentioned are also covered in the help, but they do the following:

Spelling—specifies the language dictionary to be used for spelling. This will be the default used by the other language options if they are unmodified (set to Auto).

Hyphenation—specifies the language dictionary to be used for hyphenation. This can be used if a specific hyphenation dictionary is not available for the spelling language, but a suitable substitute is available. For example, it is possible to use English (Australian) spelling with English (United Kingdom) hyphenation.

Typography script—specifies the language script to be used when applying OpenType rules. For example, the Ordinals OpenType feature ‘ordn’ applies mainly to Latin script, and the Petite Caps feature ‘pcap’ only applies for scripts with both upper- and lowercase forms (e.g. Latin, Cyrillic, Greek). The list of available scripts will depend on the current typeface.

Typography language—specifies the language to be used when applying OpenType rules. For example, several OpenType features should only be applied to Japanese or Chinese text.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

#1 - Not margins, but text frames which size remains from the previous (bigger) format.

#2 - Yes, I created text frame and added 2 columns. The gutter lines are not shown when the text frame is not selected.

#4 - here it is in attachment. Just try to assign "Master B" to pages 4 and 5.

#5 - Nothing's wrong here. Just show a dialog box that will enable the user to apply another master page for one that is going to be deleted. Kust like in ID and QXP. About last sentence -- when creating a new document, beside "Master A" there should be another master page named "None" if the user wants some pages to be empty.

untitled.afpub

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

#5 - I think the issue here is that when you create a new document you get a "Master A" master page created and the new Page 1 has this assigned to it.
You can select Clear Masters so no master page is linked to this page.
You can also have no master pages.

So what could happen is that when you delete a master page you are offered the option of replacing the master page on all pages where it is used and clearly "None" would be a valid option.

However the problem would be how the .afpub file holds the links to the master pages.
All the pages linked to that master page would have to be updated with the details of the new master page.
At the moment when you delete a master page all pages linked to it end up without any master page linked to them.

So perhaps what Petar is looking for is a Replace Master Page tool? Does that exist? I've not looked yet.
You can obviously apply a Master Page to any page but if you have six different master pages in a document used it lots of places there's not, as far as I can see, an automatic process that allows you to change Master A to Master B.

So if you designed a new master page layout you could either replace all instances of it in the document, or delete the original and select the new one to replace it throughout the document.

Windows 10 Home - 8Gb / Windows 10  Pro - 96Gb

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481

7 minutes ago, Trevor J Richens said:

when you delete a master page you are offered the option of replacing the master page on all pages

Where have you seen this? Publisher only warns you when a master page is going to be deleted, it doesn't offer you to replace it with another one.

For the rest of your text -- I just want Publisher to work with master pages just like the other two DTP giants -- ID and QXP.

I think you misread me Petar :)

So what COULD happen is that when you delete a master page you are offered the option of replacing the master page on all pages

Windows 10 Home - 8Gb / Windows 10  Pro - 96Gb

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 - Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.