You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Round Corner on a graphic

Tried that. Publisher won’t do that. Could it be that it’s a psd file? Anyway it doesn’t work like InDesign.  So I right click convert to picture frame. That worked once. But not the next time. As it was Greyed out.   Strange   I’ll have to spend more time looking at it   

Truly I am finding publisher may not be ready for me until version two perhaps.  Which I think several people said at the start. Publisher so far is way better than other low cost publishing software. 

Also, no pencil? Just a pen. 

In my opinion the interface isn’t as tight as InDesign   Much wasted space.   

19 minutes ago, BLKay said:

Tried that. Publisher won’t do that.

It should have done! Instead of dragging the image and dropping it at the clipping/nesting position for the round-cornered rectangle in the Layers panel, try dragging the rectangle and dropping it on the thumbnail of the image: if this works correctly, the image will be masked by (i.e. cropped to the shape of) the rectangle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, now that is not very intuitive. But it works. How'd you figure that one out? I am not used to working with layers in that way. Not that I've worked much with Publisher yet but it looks as though each object is a layer? hmm  What other advantages are there to this? I'm asking sincerely, no sarcasm intended. I've alway hated layers unless I truly had to use them, especially in maps and perhaps two or three layers in a publication.  Master pages of course. But each object as a layer? Wouldn't this end up being a mess doing a large Map with hundreds of streets? 

I guess though each street would be one sub layer. 

OKAY, I am a layer novice for sure. 

In my large city maps I have about 14 layers. It must be done but ARGGGG I hate working in too many layers and having to lock and unlock to touch things up. 

I noticed Publisher has no "links' panel. So the links are in the layers panel, correct?  Like I say, I haven't worked much yet in Publisher, nor Designer, Photo. Nor much of a pro in Photoshop really. 35 years DTP with page layout and still a lot to learn. 

thanks

2 hours ago, BLKay said:

Wow, now that is not very intuitive. But it works. How'd you figure that one out? I am not used to working with layers in that way. Not that I've worked much with Publisher yet but it looks as though each object is a layer? hmm  What other advantages are there to this? I'm asking sincerely, no sarcasm intended. I've alway hated layers unless I truly had to use them, especially in maps and perhaps two or three layers in a publication.  Master pages of course. But each object as a layer? Wouldn't this end up being a mess doing a large Map with hundreds of streets? 

I guess though each street would be one sub layer. 

OKAY, I am a layer novice for sure. 

In my large city maps I have about 14 layers. It must be done but ARGGGG I hate working in too many layers and having to lock and unlock to touch things up. 

I noticed Publisher has no "links' panel. So the links are in the layers panel, correct?  Like I say, I haven't worked much yet in Publisher, nor Designer, Photo. Nor much of a pro in Photoshop really. 35 years DTP with page layout and still a lot to learn. 

thanks

I believe so that each object is visible in the layer stack. Organisation is key here, so using groups and proper naming will help. OTOH I don't find this so much different from indesign, just that the hierarchy between these objects can easier be manipulated. After all, in Indesign some objects would also overlap others, and it would sometimes be hard to get to the specific object obscured by others. In this, Publisher is an improvement. Also the ways to add a clipping mask is much quicker and easier than indesign.

As for Maps, I am not sure either Indesign or Publisher would be the preferred app. Designer, Illustrator or another vector app would probably be easier. 

5 hours ago, postmadesign said:

As for Maps, I am not sure either Indesign or Publisher would be the preferred app. Designer, Illustrator or another vector app would probably be easier. 

I tried doing maps in illustrator and as I have found in the past it’s very frustrating.  Since trying illustrator 88 back long ago it’s not intuitive at all and hasn’t improved much.  Books, classes, training? That’s why I bought a Mac. ;) 

I’m sure Designer would be much better.  Redoing a two sided city map that took months to do is out of the question, so i am stuck now with InDesign on this file.  I must mention though that Indesign does work great for a detailed map. 

On 6/5/2019 at 12:19 AM, BLKay said:

Tried that. Publisher won’t do that. Could it be that it’s a psd file? Anyway it doesn’t work like InDesign.  So I right click convert to picture frame. That worked once. But not the next time. As it was Greyed out.   Strange   I’ll have to spend more time looking at it.

I just tried this with a PSD file and it worked exactly like InDesign for me. 

First draw a rectangle picture frame, then in the contextual toolbar choose the corner to be rounded and set your size. Then go File > Place, choose your graphic and you're done.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.