You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - continued on & continued from...

So here's what I want to do, and I haven't figured out how yet. I edit a monthly newsletter, and have to deal with articles that start on one page and continue on another. I set up text boxes on the beginning page and the ending page, and flow the text from one to the other. So far, no problem. I place an "anchor" into the text frame itself (NOT embedded within the text) on both pages. This does not seem to be possible in Affinity Publisher yet. I also put additional text frames at the bottom of each portion of the text, with the phrase "Continued on page x" and "Continued from page y" respectively. I then create hyperlinks on the "continued on/from..." text linking to the anchors in the next or previous text frame. In this way, I can jump from the beginning to the end of an article easily.

The graphic I'm attaching is the setup I now use within QuarkXPress. It works perfectly for me. Putting the "continued on..." text in a separate frame allows me to edit the article and not worry about having the hyperlink flow onto another page. Putting the anchor on the frame, itself, rather than embedding it into the text allows me to keep the hyperlinks attached to the next frame and previous frame - again, this keeps me from worrying about text flow if I eliminate or add words at any point in the article. This arrangement also lets me insert or delete pages, or even move one or the other of the pages to different spots in the newsletter without worrying about hyperlinks pointing to the wrong place.

559409466_ContinuedToFromSetup.thumb.jpg.9c57f5ab05c00dc3a130819b9a642bb8.jpg

How can I accomplish this in Affinity Publisher? I want so much to love this program. I use Affinity Photo all the time, and wouldn't leave it for the world. But, so far, I am stymied as to how to accomplish what is for me a most basic task in Publisher. ANY help would be appreciated.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

This might work for you. First, let's assume you've got two text frames there; call them frame 1 and frame 2.

1. Put a new Text Frame 3 on top of frame 1, not pinned, and set the text flow options so the text in frame 1 flows around the text in frame 2.
  2. In frame 3, you put a line "continued on ". 
  3. Then create frame 4, and place it on top of frame 2, not pinned, and set the text flow options so the text in frame 2 flows around the text in frame 4.
  4. In frame 4, you put a line "continued from ".
  5. Link frames 3 and 4.
  6. Then, in frame 3 use Text > Insert > Fields > Next Frame Page Number to put the page number for the overflow frame (frame 4).
  7. Finally, in frame 4 use Text > Insert > Fields > Previous Frame Page Number to put the page number of frame 3.
  8. Insert hyperlinks if necessary, though if exporting to PDF the page number references may automatically hyperlink.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes that works, if just a small/tiny textframe with an anchor_x is placed onto the usual text contents frames as a jump target. Then just tell the coresponding created hyperlink to jump to that anchor_x. - Though a hyperlink can be setup to directly jump to a specified page nr, so there is no need for an explicite anchor on/for specific pages, as far as one don't intend to jump to specific places on longer pages or the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, walt.farrell said:

This might work for you. First, let's assume you've got two text frames there; call them frame 1 and frame 2.

1. Put a new Text Frame 3 on top of frame 1, not pinned, and set the text flow options so the text in frame 1 flows around the text in frame 2.
  2. In frame 3, you put a line "continued on ". 
  3. Then create frame 4, and place it on top of frame 2, not pinned, and set the text flow options so the text in frame 2 flows around the text in frame 4.
  4. In frame 4, you put a line "continued from ".
  5. Link frames 3 and 4.
  6. Then, in frame 3 use Text > Insert > Fields > Next Frame Page Number to put the page number for the overflow frame (frame 4).
  7. Finally, in frame 4 use Text > Insert > Fields > Previous Frame Page Number to put the page number of frame 3.
  8. Insert hyperlinks if necessary, though if exporting to PDF the page number references may automatically hyperlink.

Here is a solution I use:

1. I created an asset consisting of a text box with two line of text: "continued on Page" and "continued from Page ".

2. Create text frames as needed, and link them so text flows through.

3. At the lower right corner just below the initial frame for a text, place the asset I created.

4. Create a link from the asset to a new very small text frame placed just above the upper left corner of the next frame with text.

5. Go back to the frame of the asset and shrink it vertically so that only one line of text (the "continued on Page" text) is displayed.

6. The second linked small frame will now show the second line of text in the asset ( "continued from Page")

7. In each of the two small frames insert the appropriate field (i.e., next frame or previous frame)

8. Resize each of the small frames to fit as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks lgoodwin. That's the most useful solution to date and, in the absence of any official word from Affinity, is one I will adopt.

Having said that it is a far cry from the simple procedure available in InDesign.