You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open the Formats!

The release of Affinity Publisher is a big event. Let's make it an even bigger shock to the industry! So I suggest to Serif to open the formats afphoto, afdesign and afpub. I am annoyed almost every day that there are no open exchange formats. If Serif opens them, formats would be available that offer long-term storage and interoperability. And Serif gets an incredible publicity effect and popularity.

And there is no need for anyone to purchase Serif's software.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Phileas said:

I don't think so.

In my opinion it would rise the reputation of Serif and its products.

How would Serif stay in business if they have no income?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Affinity Publisher is much cheaper than Indesign and is available without a subscription. I am convinced that the program will find its buyers.

An open file format would give Serif the chance to open closed InDesign workgroups for afpub users. A practical example: I volunteer my time in a non-profit organization and occasionally design flyers and posters together with a colleague. But she works with InDesign and I use afpub. She saves her work for me as PDF/X-4 files, which I can easily open with afpub. But I have not yet found a satisfactory solution for the opposite direction.

Whether Adobe would then support the format in his program is, of course, on a different page.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, Phileas said:

there are no open exchange formats

I try to use .txt, .tiff and .svg. I wish everyone would do the same.I really don't want to work with PDFs filled with corrupted fonts.

<RANT> This concept of "Just take this PDF and add today's date. And change the prices. Oh and make it 10% narrower. And we want some colours to be different. And ..." 'Tis a mugs game because they'll come and tell you "You only did a couple of little changes so 8% of what we originally agreed to is more than adequate compensation. We did most of the work." </RANT>