You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create footers in Designer

Hi...Designer Newbie here....  (obviously).

I'd like to create a basic footer on a master page in Publisher that includes the document title,  (left justified), a page x of y (right justified),  and a rule above the text.  Something like: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Document Title                              Page 5 of 9

I've been fiddling with a one line table, and just putting in the text without a table...but how can I get the rule?   Or is there a better way altogether to do a footer?  
Thanks.  --- Larry

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

Why using a table ? You can use a paragraph style, with a decoration for the line on top, and a tabulation for your page numbers to be on the right of the text frame.

You might even consider inserting the Title field from the Fields panel, rather than specifying the document title manually in the Master Page. (Or course, you still have to specify it in the Fields panel, so the total work may be the same. But, if you specify it in the Fields panel it also carries over into any PDF file you may generate from the Publisher document, which is a benefit you don't get by just typing the title on the Master Page :))

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

TWIMC@Serif,

I've found Affinity Publisher to have the singularly most --inane-- tutorials I've encountered in my addled memory. In this case [Page Numbers], "Alice in Wonderland" is offered as the example.

Really?

Thanks for the tip-off. But I have a <print publication> deadline to meet. I've no time for the lidded hookah-dude!

Can't you simply make a pdf available as a bone for the rest of us who have no time for 1/2 cock-eyed rabbit holes? Perhaps my question is too simple for the affinities of this sophisticated space. But I shall ask you to indulge your patience to forebear my plebeian concerns. And I do apologize for my less-than-dulcet tone. But really...

To the point: I am a lowly writer of words to be printed on paper [& other weightless mediums]. I need to <selectively> place <HEADINGS> [at the top of my pages] in the following manner:

I am working in an 8.5x11in [.75/.25 margined] doc.

Where applicable, Left pages are pp#/Book Title. Right pages are Chapter Titles/pp#  

What, in the name of Bloody fn Mary, is the RULERED [nifty pun, eh?] PLACEMENT ON THE PAGE FOR THE HEADER WHERE THIS NFO IS PLACED IN MY MASTER PAGES??? Do I need to make an <EXTRA> text box? T'would seem so.

If so, WHERE in the rulered space of the doc??? I tried an x ratio [á la Pages app] of .5 >.7 from zed/zero & the y >>> across the page to the margin and failed ridiculously. But if you look at the twaddle of the tutorial vid, there is such a text box -- all-be-it bottom [right justified text]. What the F is that box's xy & placement when at the HEADER?  How do I execute it? Is it above/beyond the body copy text box or what???

I'm just a Hawaiian Yank. I really don't mean to be a royal arse for the nice Brits doing the nice tutorials -- but I've spent A LOT of wasted time on this issue. And to no avail. Not even Google can answer me. Assistance is greatly appreciated. Mahalo nui loa [Thank you very much!]

@Brahmansky Since you're working to a deadline, it might not be the most appropriate time to try to learn completely new and usable software. You're kind of a wordy lunk to ask such a simple question. Here's how I do it for my print-ready Content Master.

My Facing Page Content Master is set to the appropriate print margins I want. Text frames are set up to match and are linked. Don't forget to leave an appropriate inner margin. I use 0.9 for all master pages.

My page numbers are at the top of the Content Master facing pages. Yours could be top or bottom. I set up another text frame at the top of each page, a suitable space above my original text frames. It stretches the entire width of my content text frame. I duplicate it, and paste it on the top of the opposite facing page. You probably don't have to stretch the width, as long as there's enough room for page number, bullet/glyph separation or whatever you want, and author/title in each separate header or footer page number frame on the Content Master Facing Pages.

And yes, you will need to set up a separate text frame for the page numbers. One left-aligned, the other right-aligned.

You couldn't have looked very hard for a video. Here's one on page numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uulbozUx1Y8

You have separate page frames for the rest of the book, right? Master A - Content. Master B - Title Page. Master C - Copyright/Read Order, Master D - Blank/Cover photo (in my case I use a dimension-reduced black and white of the front cover). Master E - Back Matter. Master F -Author Bio, etc. If you set up the blanks, you save it as a template, and the next book you wish to send off to print or POD is easy-peasy. I've done three so far, and I'll be doing at least half-a-dozen more of my ebooks. The print output rivals that of books by Connolly or Child or any other genre fiction work. I can't speak to the written content, but my readers appear to like my ebooks, so there's that. I'm hoping they''ll like the POD pbooks as well.

Affinity Publisher works like a charm to produce print-ready pdf output. There are videos all over the web by a variety of people experienced in Publisher workings. If I may be so bold, try searching for Affinity Publisher and then follow it with whatever it is you are looking to do. It works for me.

I love the Publisher software. I also use Photo to do my print covers, using templates based on spine widths from KDP publishing. Their cover page templates are free. To date, I have used Designer to design two vector pbook covers. It too works like a charm.

Edited to add: Don't forget to save frequently. You might want to save versions under different file names, as well. I use filename+001, 002, 009, etc. If there's something special I've added, I include that in the saved file name. The highest numbered file name is always my most recent working file. Works for me. You may use something quite different.

TWIMC@Serif,

I've found Affinity Publisher to have the singularly most --inane-- tutorials I've encountered in my addled memory. In this case [Page Numbers], "Alice in Wonderland" is offered as the example.

Really?

Thanks for the tip-off. But I have a <print publication> deadline to meet. I've no time for the lidded hookah-dude!

Can't you simply make a pdf available as a bone for the rest of us who have no time for 1/2 cock-eyed rabbit holes? Perhaps my question is too simple for the affinities of this sophisticated space. But I shall ask you to indulge your patience to forebear my plebeian concerns. And I do apologize for my less-than-dulcet tone. But really...

To the point: I am a lowly writer of words to be printed on paper [& other weightless mediums]. I need to <selectively> place <HEADINGS> [at the top of my pages] in the following manner:

I am working in an 8.5x11in [.75/.25 margined] doc.

Where applicable, Left pages are pp#/Book Title. Right pages are Chapter Titles/pp#  

What, in the name of Bloody fn Mary, is the RULERED [nifty pun, eh?] PLACEMENT ON THE PAGE FOR THE HEADER WHERE THIS NFO IS PLACED IN MY MASTER PAGES??? Do I need to make an <EXTRA> text box? T'would seem so.

If so, WHERE in the rulered space of the doc??? I tried an x ratio [á la Pages app] of .5 >.7 from zed/zero & the y >>> across the page to the margin and failed ridiculously. But if you look at the twaddle of the tutorial vid, there is such a text box -- all-be-it bottom [right justified text]. What the F is that box's xy & placement when at the HEADER?  How do I execute it? Is it above/beyond the body copy text box or what???

I'm just a Hawaiian Yank. I really don't mean to be a royal arse for the nice Brits doing the nice tutorials -- but I've spent A LOT of wasted time on this issue. And to no avail. Not even Google can answer me. Assistance is greatly appreciated. Mahalo nui loa [Thank you very much!]