You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

right to left (hebrew) are flipped

• Staff

Hi Tomer Levin,

Affinity doesn't currently support RTL text I'm afraid. Is the text showing correctly before export?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Is the text showing correctly before export?

As the OP says, the text is flipped. If you look at the bottom left-hand corner of the canvas you’ll see this: םות

The character ם (‘m’) is the word-final form of the character מ and should therefore only appear at the left-hand end of a word, like this: תום

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
15 hours ago, Alfred said:

As the OP says, the text is flipped. If you look at the bottom left-hand corner of the canvas you’ll see this: םות

The character ם (‘m’) is the word-final form of the character מ and should therefore only appear at the left-hand end of a word, like this: תום

As you probably guessed I don't speak Hebrew so its impossible for me to tell if the text is flipped or not. As I mentioned we don't support RTL text so I'd imagine this is to be expected.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

As you probably guessed I don't speak Hebrew

As you probably haven’t guessed, I don’t speak Hebrew either! However, I do happen to know enough about the Hebrew alphabet to be aware that ף ,ן ,ם and ך are all word-final forms, so since Hebrew is a right-to-left language they should only ever appear at the left-hand end rather than the right-hand end of a word.

02AF2D3D-2133-4C0E-8FB8-FF59FE414963.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Migo Photos said:

That's awesome! It feels like back in the 90s ... :(

It sound like they don't realize how important it is for an updated application to provide this kind of support...they are cutting out the whole middle east who are writing rtl natively, and hundreds of thousands in other countries who needs it at least at times.

I found an easy way to add Hebrew text to your Affinity Publisher and Designer. Yes, I bought all 3 of their applications and have been using them for a long time. I lived in Russia and I did not need a Hebrew. Now I came back and realized that I need to do something .... :)

So, the algorithm is simple.
1. Make a design in English
2. In any program that can work with R2L order (Pages in my case), build a block of text in Hebrew.
3. Export this text as PDF file
4. Open this PDF in the publisher or in the designer.
5. Copy the block of text via clipboard to your design.

Thats all!

On 6/4/2019 at 4:52 PM, Tomer Levin said:

Hello

I am using hebrew font and they are flipped.

in the print it is ok , but in the export it is till flipped

Is it possible to solve this issue ? how ?

temp.afdesign

Capture.JPG.72b7805acccb0863a29b4e8cf7676c41.JPGHallo there,  I just checked my pdf export and yes it is flipped there too.  I wrote my hebrew in publisher right to left quite fine but on printing it printed backwards.  After fiddling I realised that I have to actually write the sentences backwards in in publisher, using left to right paragraph style and begin at the last letter of the last word and write left to write, awkward I know, but it will then print perfectly while being backwards in your designs.  It should also export correctly by the way.  Hope this helps,

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

give me time I will work at this one, never needed multiple lines in afpub, I type in Photoshop ifI need multiple lines - easier, but I will work on this for publisher, need a break from my work right now.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

6 hours ago, Glicky said:

Thanks Chris26.

but it helps only for one line of Text. in a paragraph, the order of the lines also gets reversed.

Is there a work-around also for this concern?

Capture.PNG.c6bc5b15dd13efbd9215283383f96f64.PNG

Ok I did it quite simply this way, as you can see from the screen shot.   After the first sentence simply hit SHIFT ENTER, or if you have one, the return key to start a new line.  Type away and then simply choose right align in the context menu to align the whole paragraph to the right.  I printed mine out and it came out perfect, not of course in the screen shot as this is from the typing, obviously you can read hebrew so you know what it says. Any problems don't hesitate to shout.

Capture12.JPG

Thats a bad solution, especially in APublisher. a new "enter" after avery single line?!... and when i want to change the point size of the text, i should"backspace' all my "enter"s?!... :( 

There is one solution: Adding RTL support! And to open the way for new hundreds of thousands of graphic designers to join the program.

1 hour ago, pointery said:

Thats a bad solution, especially in APublisher. a new "enter" after avery single line?!... and when i want to change the point size of the text, i should"backspace' all my "enter"s?!... :( 

There is one solution: Adding RTL support! And to open the way for new hundreds of thousands of graphic designers to join the program.

Hallo Pointery,

It's theonly soltion we have at the moment, even in photoshop they do not have rtl support, however I do have a script which I added to photoshop whereupon one keystroke I have it placed rtl automatically, whether one sentence or one page. a s far as affinity publisher goes, it is still young and a toddler in this resepect but a very fine mature toddler and look at the price my friend.  The above work around works brilliantly, though I may have overlooked to say something, you need to download a hebrew keyboard with specific fonts and have your windows machine listing Hebrew in the Languages panel so that with one click you can switch from hebrew to english keyboard.  ENTER and SHIFT + ENTER are two very different things, with this I have no trouble switching from one font size to another even in single letters on the same line if you like. I never need to backspace anything.

2 hours ago, pointery said:

Thanks for the reply. but it's a bit difficult for me to understand exactly how to get done your work-around (SHIFT + ENTER?).

can you please upload a screen recording how you do this in Affinity?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I do not have a screen recorder.  I have been searching for one, of which there are many free ones  but can not decide on which one.  One or two have been known to send you info and adverts,  others do not have Mpeg4 support, some give you watermarks, others have been reported to have been glitchy, and one that I finally settled on could not be downloaded from the website, after contacting them they sent me a zip file from a private computer, could not trust them (flashback by the way, and that name is not lost on its irony to a malware of similar name) so you see, decisions decisions - it's not easy.

49 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Sorry I do not have a screen recorder. 

If you are on Mac it is built into the OS (Quicktime Player, not an obvious name for a screen Recorder) and I thought Windows had something similar.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

If you are on Mac it is built into the OS (Quicktime Player, not an obvious name for a screen Recorder) and I thought Windows had something similar.

I am on windows with publisher.  Try to keep everything else on a mac though. Windows does not have any built in recorder apart from some piece of kit for xbox gamers to record, I actually tried to activate this (though I do not have xbox nor games) but in good old typical microhamburger fashion it would not let me because I was not playing any games.  (Apple are always so much more generous) .  Anyway thanks folks.

Glicky there are reasons why I no longer use quicktime, beside that if Apple does not support it anymore then I do not want it, security reasons.  Also I do not think you can really use quicktime on win 10.

9 hours ago, Glicky said:

Maybe you can try to use "Screen To Gif"...

https://www.screentogif.com/downloads.html

...Or maybe "LiceCap".

https://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Had a look at the developer's records on screen to gif.  Nice app but some issues.  Plus it is not full screen recording which I feel is a must.  Licecap looked reasonable but the same issues.

Allow me to repeat step for step:

1. Years ago I downloaded the fonts and keyboard from SBL hebrew.

2. Told windows to add this to my language bar, along with American English ugh!

3. In affinity I select my hebrew font, Then I select the hebrew keyboard/Language from the language bar

4. I type away Left to Right BUT luckily in the right order that the word is written so no thinking upside down back to front (even though it is supposed to be written right to left - this makes no difference at this point)

5. When I start a new line I simply hold shift key and press enter.  When finished I select the whole sentence or paragraph and click on the right to left paragraph Icon in the context tool bar.

6.It looks wrong on the screen but that does not matter - it prints out exactly as you would expect.

Now I know a screen recording is helpful but it would not at this stage add anything extra than what I just said.

Does this help?

57 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

it would not you at this stage anything extra

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Shood reed :  Now I know a screen recording is helpful but it would not at this stage add anything extra than what I just said.   (and have edited it).  My cat's paws are a nusance!

• 1 month later...

Yes, it would be great to have the option of entering Hebrew right to left, both in Designer and in Publisher, but given all that Affinity has done for me, I can appreciate the problems it has already solved, even if I have to wait now for rtl. In the meantime, I have found that an imported PDF only gives me machine language, but when I use PRINT/Save as PostScript from Text Edit, my Hebrew (even with vowel points) imports (places) beautifully into Designer. However, one must keep the Hebrew to one TE page and have everything aligned to the right (no centering). Of course, once imported I must put a longer passage within a rectangle in order to show only what I want in my doc. One may call this useless for typing single words or short phrases,  but I have used it for longer passages.

I am sure that Affinity would love to have all of the linguistic potential that everyone wants, but in the meantime I can only express my heartfelt thanks for what they have already done in their three great apps, very reasonably priced and constantly improving. It can only get better.