You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Right To Left (rtl) "first line indent" work around

Hi all.

I'm new to affinity and i'm trying now the Publisher app (beta). i'm really impressed from Serifs amazing apps, but i recognized that thare is no support for RTL text.

(incidentally, i don't understand that, there are millions of millions designer in arabic and hebrew around the world needy to this support for their daily basis...)

Anyway, my only real problem with this is the "first line indent" on the "left" side from the paragraph. (i'm importing my text from word)

Is there some way to get this done on the "right" side?

333.gif

43 minutes ago, barbn said:

Is there some way to get this done on the "right" side?

This may work, I haven't tried it. Try using an inline image anchored to the end of the line above and stuck in the 'line below' on the right edge of the frame. A clear .png file of the size of the line and indent may work, or the colour of the page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 minutes ago, barbn said:

(and i hope that they will change their mind, and add RTL support soon...)

Dear @barbn,

it's not a matter of changing their minds. They are very much aware of the lack of support for writing languages other than Left-to-Right. It seems to be a major task and, as I understand it, they have decided to implement this in a later version. See this post:

Personally I do understand that this leaves out a huge amount of possible customers. I believe this is only based on technical decisions.

Best regards,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

13 hours ago, dominik said:

Personally I do understand that this leaves out a huge amount of possible customers. I believe this is only based on technical decisions.

Every technical issue is possible to come over with a little work.

I'm sure that if they will realize that with RTL support there is a possibility for millions of new users, they will do something about it a little bit faster…

8 hours ago, pointery said:

possibility for millions of new users

This is highly unlikely.  Hundreds probably, thousands maybe, but millions for professional design software?  That is really pushing it.

14 hours ago, pointery said:

there is a possibility for millions of new users

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

Hundreds probably, thousands maybe, but millions for professional design software?

I just suggested that there is a POSSIBILITY, and I'm not saying that every single designer will change to affinity (you may not know with such an amazing application like Designer...).

And yes, there are at least millions of graphic designers\Photographers\etc. who using "professional design software" in RTL languages, between the over 420 million people talking and writing in Arabic, 9 million people in Hebrew, 100 million people in Urdu, etc.

Edited by pointery

Dear toutou123 .

I found that all this programs/sites works only for one line of text, not for a big paragraph. i'm so disappointed... i can't buy the affinity apps if i can't work with them :(

Capture.thumb.PNG.66607c040ff381fa2bf612cd6905e582.PNG1820462525_Capture2.PNG.4a2747edaf83744bd4b8140e23957355.PNG

Do you have some other idea how to use RTL in Designer/Publisher/Photo? or will i have to wait till they will add support for it :(

• 2 weeks later...