maxgrafik

[Fixed] Max consecutive hyphens = 0 won't save with document

Just noticed that setting Max consecutive hyphens to 0 (zero) in a text style is not saved with the document. Not sure, but I think this once worked in a previous beta.

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release of Affinity Publisher on your platform. Now you can no longer set the maximum consecutive hyphens to 0. 

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Now you can no longer set the maximum consecutive hyphens to 0. 

Ok, that's one way to solve this xD

How would I set the maximum consecutive hyphens to "infinite" then? Setting it to 0 did the job quite well.

The maximum value as of now is 20. I can' think of a real scenario where you would need more than 20 consecutive hyphens. Usually it's the other way around, where you try to avoid them :)

Agreed, usually you would try to avoid them. But I also do some newspaper-like layouts (with loooong columns), where it's not about aesthetics so much. Since the text is given by the client, more than 20 consecutive hyphens may happen (especially in German language). Rare, but possible.

As I said, a value of 0 seemed to mean "infinite". It just isn't saved. I may be wrong, but I think this worked in a previous beta.

Sorry to be dim, but why do you need to restrict the number of hyphens someone can use at all? I don't see why you need to stop people using them if they want to!

29 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Sorry to be dim, but why do you need to restrict the number of hyphens someone can use at all? I don't see why you need to stop people using them if they want to!

It isn't Them restricting the number of hyphens I can use, it is the text. One example is poetry.

And I don't think that is a dim question.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.0.499

59 minutes ago, maxgrafik said:

more than 20 consecutive hyphens may happen (especially in German language). Rare, but possible.

That is a case where discretionary hyphens being inserted into the text can save the day.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.0.499

1 hour ago, maxgrafik said:

more than 20 consecutive hyphens may happen (especially in German language)

Even the (in)famous „Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz“ is unlikely to be printed with quite as many as 20 hyphens in it!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

@Alfred Max consecutive hyphens is not about hyphens in one word, but consecutive lines in a column that end with a hyphen. And yes, having a text with lots of those "nice" long german words can lead to a column needing more than 20 consecutive lines that end with a hyphen.

4 minutes ago, maxgrafik said:

@Alfred Max consecutive hyphens is not about hyphens in one word, but consecutive lines in a column that end with a hyphen. And yes, having a text with lots of those "nice" long german words can lead to a column needing more than 20 consecutive lines that end with a hyphen.

You’re right, of course, @maxgrafik. Thanks for the clarification!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

39 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Even the (in)famous „Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz“ is unlikely to be printed with quite as many as 20 hyphens in it!

Is that a challenge?!

Now if I can only find my copy of  The Big Book of Hyphenation Rules and Regulations for the German Language. Hey, is that word the title of the book I am looking for?