You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Fixed] Max consecutive hyphens = 0 won't save with document

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release of Affinity Publisher on your platform. Now you can no longer set the maximum consecutive hyphens to 0. 

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Now you can no longer set the maximum consecutive hyphens to 0. 

Ok, that's one way to solve this xD

How would I set the maximum consecutive hyphens to "infinite" then? Setting it to 0 did the job quite well.

Agreed, usually you would try to avoid them. But I also do some newspaper-like layouts (with loooong columns), where it's not about aesthetics so much. Since the text is given by the client, more than 20 consecutive hyphens may happen (especially in German language). Rare, but possible.

As I said, a value of 0 seemed to mean "infinite". It just isn't saved. I may be wrong, but I think this worked in a previous beta.

Sorry to be dim, but why do you need to restrict the number of hyphens someone can use at all? I don't see why you need to stop people using them if they want to!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

29 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Sorry to be dim, but why do you need to restrict the number of hyphens someone can use at all? I don't see why you need to stop people using them if they want to!

It isn't Them restricting the number of hyphens I can use, it is the text. One example is poetry.

And I don't think that is a dim question.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

59 minutes ago, maxgrafik said:

more than 20 consecutive hyphens may happen (especially in German language). Rare, but possible.

That is a case where discretionary hyphens being inserted into the text can save the day.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, maxgrafik said:

more than 20 consecutive hyphens may happen (especially in German language)

Even the (in)famous „Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz“ is unlikely to be printed with quite as many as 20 hyphens in it!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, maxgrafik said:

@Alfred Max consecutive hyphens is not about hyphens in one word, but consecutive lines in a column that end with a hyphen. And yes, having a text with lots of those "nice" long german words can lead to a column needing more than 20 consecutive lines that end with a hyphen.

You’re right, of course, @maxgrafik. Thanks for the clarification!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

39 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Even the (in)famous „Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz“ is unlikely to be printed with quite as many as 20 hyphens in it!

Is that a challenge?!

Now if I can only find my copy of  The Big Book of Hyphenation Rules and Regulations for the German Language. Hey, is that word the title of the book I am looking for?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.