You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.367 (RC2) Edit in Designer menu is greyed out

I have both Photo and Designer 1.7.0.367 (RC2) installed. I can send document from Designer to Photo through "Edit in Photo" menu, but in AfPhoto I can't send it back ("Edit in Designer" is greyed out). No matter new document or sent from AfDesigner. Tried to uninstall/reinstall both.

(Win7x64)

aph.png

• Staff

Hey Dihotom,

If both versions are on .367 this should be working and I cannot think why it wouldn't. I've tested it on Windows 10 and 8.1 and it is working fine so I'm wondering if it might be OS specific... I'll see if I can get access to a Windows 7 environment and report back. Thanks! 

• Staff
1 minute ago, Dihotom said:

Can it be affected by the fact that I also have both Designer and Photo stable versions installed (1.6.5.135)? In stable "edit" works in both programms. Thanks.

I have them both installed as well. This normally only happens when once of the versions in a few builds ahead of the other, so it is actually quite surprising...

I have the same problem Windows 7.0 with 1.7.0.367 versions of Designer & Photo both the same version and the Edit in X options are greyed out in both of them. This is really disappointing as the new release was meant to make this work correctly.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Here on Win7, it's working from AD and AP 1.7.0.367

and with AD Bêta and AP Bêta .380

(I created a new document in AP —or AD—, switched to AD and get it back to AP, and the Bêta work together, and the .367 work together too).

• Staff
22 hours ago, drkanukie said:

I have the same problem Windows 7.0 with 1.7.0.367 versions of Designer & Photo both the same version and the Edit in X options are greyed out in both of them. This is really disappointing as the new release was meant to make this work correctly.

As I understand it, we have done this as a kind of 'fail safe'—let me explain:

We are forcing you to open both updated apps to prevent any potential damage to your files when passing them from one app to the other. With all the changes/fixes and updates etc. it wouldn't be safe trying to pass a 1.7 file to 1.6. This is why you also couldn't open beta files in 1.6.

So for anyone reading this who hasn't followed the link from carl123, the fix is to open both apps and and then close them both (closing is the key). If you just open both apps without closing, you will still experiencing this. Closing the app ensures that the apps have written away whatever they need to so they can communicate safely with one another.

If you've done this and are still having an issue, then please let me know.

• Staff
19 hours ago, Dihotom said:

I have fixed this problem by fully uninstalling all affinity apps and deleteing all related folders in USER and Programm Files folders. After it fresh inslall fixed that issue. Hope this helps.

So what I suggested above didn't work?

I have tried both opening and closing .afphoto and .afdesign files in both apps - the link from designer to photo now works but the link from photo to designer doesn't. Also had reboots etc. So will try a reinstall of photo as it seems to be the problem. It would help if I actually understood how this check works is it a specific file or a registry entry that its looking for as this would be the best way to fix it. From a usability standpoint this check is poorly implemented it should use the version in the registry to check if a compatible version is available.

I'm using Win7. Both apps at 1.7.0.367 Retail. Edit in... works in both apps.

Sorry that it doesn't help those for whom it is greyed out, but this must be related to individual installations, rather than a global bug affecting all Win7 machines.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

10 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

I'm using Win7. Both apps at 1.7.0.367 Retail. Edit in... works in both apps.

Sorry that it doesn't help those for whom it is greyed out, but this must be related to individual installations, rather than a global bug affecting all Win7 machines.

I agree but we need to find out what the actual mechanism it is using that is causing the specific problems - It's probably in the shared user space in AppData or Registry

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.