You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

filling extended areas with colours from model

Hi, I need this picture in a square format for website, have extended borders at top and bottom, as shown. How do I now use the colours in the model, i.e. the grey backdrop to fill those areas and blend? 

is there a way of copying a selected area and just pasting it into the white areas above and below perhaps? 

Cheers. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.57.00.png

• Staff

Hi Jakey80 :)

You could use the clone tool to duplicate sections of the image into the transparent area find out more about this here - 

Alternatively you could select the surrounding colour using the colour picker tool and then paint using a brush in the transparent area! 

The easiest option in my opinion however would be to try inpainting the area, using the following instructions:

Select>Alpha Range>Select Fully Transparent, Select>Grow/Shrink (grow by 2px), then Edit>Inpaint. I've attached a quick screen recording of this in action!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi, Jakey80,

Another way. Make a rectangular marquee enclosing the space under the legs. Copy that, and paste. Stretch the paster pixel rectangle from the visible bottom to the empty bottom. Merge down. Repeat for the upper section.

Streched.png.b0c159e105d72cbd1ce30844580f4a1f.png

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

thanks gdenby, doesn't seem to work exactly for me....taken thin strip of grey available below with rectangular marquee tool, then copy and paste, can only seem to paste a box that you can fill from set colour swatches (see top area) rather than just an exact copy of the backdrop? 

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 13.01.28.png

• Staff

I'd simply use the clone tool after this process to remove any unwanted areas :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Stretching the pasted pixels is the way to go but you will get "noise" when you stretch.  So you need to Denoise (Luminance) the stretched layer.

Bottom part comes out OK but matching the pattern (noise) on the top half is harder. 

All depends how much time you want to spend on it.

maple1-fin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi again, Jakey80,

Sorry for the slow follow-up. Wasted a bunch of time trying to make a quick animation, but that is something with which I have minimal skill. So, attached, a few screen caps.

Select a portion. Copy and Paste. Stretch the copy. I used gaussian blur to reduce the noise. (I suspect at web resolution, the noise will not be noticed) Merge the visible layers.

Cab-01.jpg.500a5c706128471053e9bea1b59f75eb.jpg

Cab-02.jpg.41e1d5be6fb49001784a4546b7132d97.jpg

Cab-03.jpg.65ac134ce08881f1c8e00350347f85de.jpg

Cab-05.jpg.3fc68da40cf7ce33d7cc2c10f95296bd.jpg

Cab-04.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet