You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crash on selecting page

• Staff

Hi Graham,

Interesting, I can't reproduce that crash with your file here.

Can you do a couple of things for me, navigate to %AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports and attach the most recent .dmp files in this folder.

Can you also, with the document open, go do Document > Resource Manager, embed the resources and then re attach the file? I wonder if the crash is related to the linked images on page 3 that I don't have access to.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Would love to help. I cannot find %AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports. I have looked in C: Users\Graham, and searched the C drive

Any advice welcome!

33 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Hi Graham,

Interesting, I can't reproduce that crash with your file here.

Can you do a couple of things for me, navigate to %AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports and attach the most recent .dmp files in this folder.

Can you also, with the document open, go do Document > Resource Manager, embed the resources and then re attach the file? I wonder if the crash is related to the linked images on page 3 that I don't have access to.

Thanks

A thought.

When constructing the faulty document, I switched one image into photo to add the captions and arrows. The procedure for doing this is not completely clear, and I wonder if this is where the fault lay?
(I have to say, however, that I carried out the same exercise in the workaround, and it completed without problems)
I hope this does not confuse the issue, but thought it may be elpful to let you know the process I adopted.

Regards

• Staff

I can reproduce it with the document with embedded images. The process you took could be use could be the reason, I'll look into it a bit further and get it logged!

Thanks for reporting it

• Staff

Hi @GrahamMYC,

So as suspected I think what you did in Photo has been the cause here.

Basically, one of the images has gotten confused about it's size, the size it reports in resource manager is correct but the "backing data" is reporting a different size which is causing the crash to happen.

There will be a recipe here to get an image in this state and it would be great to nail it down, I'll be poking it a bit myself.

Can you give me a bit more information possible on the following quote?

I switched one image into photo to add the captions and arrows. The procedure for doing this is not completely clear, and I wonder if this is where the fault lay?

Can you me a bit more specific with any of the exact steps you took here? Did you alter the image size in any way?

Either way, if you open this file and go to Document > Resource Manager, make the embedded images linked and then embed them again it will fix the issue in the file and should no longer crash when viewing the page.

Thanks

• Staff

I think it's definitely something along the lines of editing in Photo and resizing/cropping the image, I've found a recipe that can get an image in a similar state which involves resizing it to a significantly smaller size after inserting it into the publisher document. Does that ring any bells?

Basically it went like this

1: Placed image in the document

2: Selected edit in Photo

3: Added text boxes and arrows

4: I may have cropped the image a bit - not sure of this.

5: hit save

6: Could not work out how to go back to APub

7: Closed file

8: restarted  APub,, opened file and found the edited image was OK

Hope this helps!

Graham

• Staff

It does, I think we had arrived at a similar conclusion but I'm fairly certain step 4 is what caused this if you did indeed crop it.

It's with our developers now, however the fix will likely be to prevent this happening in the future, so you'll need to manually link and re-embed the files like I mentioned above to continue working on your file for now.

Thanks for the info and reporting this to us

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue found from this thread ("File crashes when image is drawn") has been fixed in the latest Affinity Publisher beta and should not occur in the initial release of Affinity Publisher next week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.