You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No to paper printout

Affinity Publisher

Thanks Affinity for the invitation to purchase publisher with 30% discount.

I did beta test this product for six months but stopped after some concerns upon environmental grounds.

I started to feel that this product would encourage people to hit the print button for physical printing and as I operate under a green label I am at this time unable to endorse or support an indirect practice of land clearing for plantation trees needed to support people’s desire to publish. 

I have major environmental concerns which is why I support digital media only.

I love your Photo and Design components and am quite happy in supporting these.

Vrtual card 1a.jpg

PDF files can be considered digital media, too, Colin, and Publisher can create PDF files. :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

5 hours ago, colin foster said:

I started to feel that this product would encourage people to hit the print button for physical printing and as I operate under a green label I am at this time unable to endorse or support an indirect practice of land clearing for plantation trees needed to support people’s desire to publish. 

I have major environmental concerns which is why I support digital media only.

It is always a good move to care for our environment - so thumbs up and no intention to belittle you, but I fear electricity you are getting from your wall socket to publish digital is generated somewhere? I don't have any statistics at hand, but I have the feeling, that the land clearing is mostly used for feeding animals to produce cheap meat? And as Walt said, you can create digital media with Publisher too.

Vegan greetings from my desktop.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Is your computer sitting on a wooden desk by any chance?  Did it come shipped in a cardboard box?  Is your home framed with wood?

The notion that you would reject a product because other people would use it to create printed output is kind of silly, particularly when that is explicitly stated as the primary focus of the product to begin with (producing printed works).

I'm also not convinced it is any more "green" than are printed products; it simply helps to "hide" the usage of resources as you don't think about the fuel being burned to produce the power that comes from that wall outlet (whether directly, or in order to charge a battery...).  With a printed book, I can read it repeatedly, for example by sunlight, with no additional use of power.  With a "digital book" I need to use power continuously the entire time I am reading it, every time I try to read it.

The whole "green" thing falls apart for digital media as soon as you have a work that will be read repeatedly over time.

I love your Photo and Design components and am quite happy in supporting these.

But...one can also print from these applications.

That aside from the comments above.

If one follows your rabbit hole deeper than you are, there is no way to endorse any software even if it didn't have a "print function." I mean, what about all the electrikity used up by the people doing the programming, the printed books/manuals they do/may produce (like the books for Affinity products already out), all the ...

Your argument is silly. So go ahead, indulge yourself with Publisher. Really. Just don't print from it like I am sure you don't from AD/APhoto.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

20 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Affinity team has addressed this pressing environmental problem. None of Affinity beta apps can print in my system. CMD-P and nothing just happens :D

Hey, same here! Oh, hang on... I don't have a printer attached.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

What a strange opinion. Taken to its conclusion we can only assume the author does not own any books, reads any physical magazines or newspapers, or even buy fish and chips......

(looks round room) I can see about 30 magazines (photography, cars, sci-do) several hundred books, bills, letters operating manuals, framed photos and a box of tissues all of which are made of paper. And outside is a recycling bins full of newspapers and surplus flyers.

paper is fully recycled and my newspapers will potentially come back to me in a few weeks when the new ones are printed.

each to their own but it seems a strange opinion to me

Missed the point

I do have books, but no longer buy them, choosing digital alternatives.  I do take paper products like post or items outside of my control but only if I have to.  Physical printing as continued usage is responsible for land clearing and destruction of habitat for a consumer product that has alternative outlets. 

Recycling is like ladling water from a sinking boat, fully support it however not the solution.  Seven plus billion folks in this world, all wanting paper products, do the maths, it’s a lot of trees and I quite like breathing clean air.  Think about one person printing one A4 sheet of paper, multiply that by several billion and you see the issue.  I live near a pristine environment and make no bones about wanting it to stay that way. 

This is my opinion and moving forward I wish to support digital media only rather than physical printing, I see nothing strange about that.

Just noticed some of the other points raised in this post, pressed a few buttons eh.

I do have a wooden desk, twenty years old and still going strong.  Look I am not postulating that we live in a perfect world; however there are some serious issues that need to be looked at regarding old habits not liking any type of change. 

Beef and cattle are responsible for a lot of land clearing, so is a host of other commercial products that put food on the table, although it’s more a case of putting cars, boats, yachts and cruise ships in folks garages now. 

Electricity is already in our homes and no one wants to return to the Stone Age, well maybe some of us would.  It is all about doing what we can when we can and questioning old habits that are no longer in our best interests. 

Software support:  I have Affinity photo and can honestly say that I have never had to hit that print button, digital alternatives work very well.  It’s just difficult to support software were it makes it easy for consumers to hit that print out.  We have computers on every desk, tablets, phones and digital photo albums; the infrastructure is already there we are just not transitioning.

PDF files are the greatest strength for Affinity Publisher.  I just wish that it were cantered more around this in the form of supporting digital only, offering a suite of options like page transitions and power point display presentations to promote use of PDF as a fully digital world standard practice.  This is where developers could really tip the scales in a more constructive direction, ecology in harmony with technology.