You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Improve autoflow page creation behaviour.

I have encountered an odd and non-productive behavior of auto flow page creation. I have create a simple demonstration.

1. I have page 1 with a text frame and some text on it.

2. I have  page 2 with some graphics and text. (1st image)

3. Now I either increase the text size of page 1 or copy paste more text, this creates an overflow frame.

4. I click on the flow icon+Shift to auto flow the text, it needs 2 pages in this case. (image 2)

Here is the catch, what I expect is the software to create 2 new pages DIRECTLY after page 1 on position 2 and 3, and move the page that has the image to position 4 keeping content in order, but instead the software created an empty page on position 3, and another page on position 4. (Image 3) Which means it created the additional pages at the end of the document and not after the source page 1.

The empty page number 3 is a bug I guess, because the image on page 2 is snapped to the line between the 2 pages, and the text frame on page 4 still has the overflow text, I'll have to auto-flow it another time.

5. If I scale the image on page 2 down so it doesn't make contact with the line between the 2 pages (Image 4), the software creates 2 pages on position 3 and 4 and fills them with the full text. (Image 5)

What I suggest is changing the behaviour of the text so when you auto-flow a text frame (Shift+flow icon), it creates additional pages straight after that text frames' page and not at the end of the document, and it pushes the pages after it forward. For the bug of creating an empty page when the image is snapped to the mid line and the last page has an overflow text frame, I don't think it'll be a problem if the first suggestion is used.

Publisher_2019-06-04_02-14-31.png

Publisher_2019-06-04_02-14-53.png

Publisher_2019-06-04_02-16-57.png

Publisher_2019-06-04_02-19-32.png

Publisher_2019-06-04_02-19-44.png

I believe this is how it's designed.    I tried to recreate your scenario.  I have thee pages in my flow.  Page 1 starts out blank, page 2 has the image placed on it in behind the text frame, and page 3 is blank.  All three have a text frame on them.  When I try to auto-connect the frames, a new page, Page 4 is created and text skips over pages 2 and 3 and onto page 4.  If I disconnect the autoflow and then reconnect it, a new page, Page 5 is created skipping over pages 2, 3, and 4.  Disconnecting and auto-connecting continue the progression of adding new pages after the existing pages. 

I also tried just having the two pages: Blank Page 1 and Page 2 with an image on it.  When I make the auto-connect, a new page 3 is created after Page 2.  I believe the assumption is that you placed those two pages (2 and 3) and new text should appear after them.  If you want a new auto-connected page, use the Add Page function to create a new page after Page 1. Then manually connect the flow to the new page 2.

Running Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.371
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5

2 hours ago, Michael117 said:

I believe this is how it's designed.

I'm not saying it's a bug, I'm saying it's not the best behaviour if you want to create a book or a magazine.

Books and magazines are composed of chapters 1, 2, 3... You might create chapter 1 on a text frame on page 1, when you autoflow the text of chapter 1, you'll want the extra pages -Let's say 3- to be created after page 1, in positions 2, 3, 4. and move the chapter 2 page forward to position 5 so everything is kept in order.

Autoflow should create extra pages after the original frame text and push the other pages forward. or at least give the option to. It's not useful for it to create the extra pages at the end of the document.

Ah, Books are composed of chapters!  What a novel concept. (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

You just need to use the Section Manager (Document > Section Manager).  The first section is on your initial page 1.  Add a new Section for your initial page 2.  Now do the auto-connect thingy on page 1 and the new pages are created ahead of the initial page 2.

13 hours ago, Michael117 said:

Ah, Books are composed of chapters!  What a novel concept. (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

You just need to use the Section Manager (Document > Section Manager).  The first section is on your initial page 1.  Add a new Section for your initial page 2.  Now do the auto-connect thingy on page 1 and the new pages are created ahead of the initial page 2.

Thank you so much sir, this solved the problem.