You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poor performance with long text frame

Several things may be contributing to that:

1. You've specified that the Spelling language (Character panel) is Portuguese. That looks more like Latin, to me, and the red underlines indicate that. So it's wasting time trying to spellcheck Portuguese. Set the Language to None :)

Also, it has to adjust the red underlines, caused by Text > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing. Either turning that option off, or setting the Language to None eliminates the red lines, and the recalculation of where they need to go as the text moves around.

2. Editing text in the middle of a long linked Text Frame means that all the following text has to be adjusted every time you add or remove text. There's not much I can think of that you can do about that.

3. You're justifying the text, so every time you add or remove a letter or word the program has to calculate the justification and move things around. It would be faster, while editing, to simply make the text left-aligned and justify it later. Note that the justification work applies through the end of the linked frames, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am not seeing any problems with your document and adding/inserting text is super quick with no lagging.

And to be honest I would not expect there to be any with just a 5 page text document

I think something else is wrong here

Things to try

1. Reboot PC
2. Reset Publisher (Use CTRL key when starting program)
3. Check Task Manager to see if something is hogging your CPU time
4. Check Publisher's preferences settings for anything that may be causing the lagging (you may need to experiment with different settings

5. Upload a video showing what you see (i.e. the lagging)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have change my settings and reset Publisher. It´s lag yet!

Turn off spellcheking and settings language to none, not solve too!

So, I see my task manager. When I editing a text frame I see a very high increase CPU usage while writing! Something around 30%-40% of increase. I Don´t Know if this value is normal.

But, maybe I need to upgrade my video card!!! :/

Did you try turning off the justification?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you try turning off the justification?

Turning off spell-check or justification etc. pp. can only be workarounds in the beta period. How should I estimate the text flow, when justification is turned off, but is necessary for the final outcome? I hope the final version of Publisher gets a bit / lot faster. In ID you have the option to increase / decrease screen rendering quality whereas Publisher is always crisp and clear (I like that), maybe one factor for sometimes being laggy?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I have turn Off justification too! Doesn´t solve for me!

So, make a long book will be impossible to work! Try to edit a long long linked text from several pages and edit it!

Or, my system have some hardware not compatible with Affinity!

No problem for me with the file you posted. The one in the video seems to be a more complex document. Last idea: Hide all non-text layers or hope the next versions will be optimized for speed.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

As Joachim highlights the file you've uploaded and the one in your video are quite different.

The file you've uploaded has no issues for me, do you still get the slowdown on the file you uploaded when typing text?

Can you try again and make sure the Character studio isn't visible, does that help?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi all!

Using the latest update of Publisher, I see a increase performance into both files that I´m using here, including the file sended!

Some of lags now is into a complex document with lots of images! I suggest a view mode with low resolution like InDesign to work with complex documents!

Thanks all,

It looks like we have a performance problem with text wrapping around groups of items. If the group doesn't have a wrap outline of its own, it creates one on the fly by combining the outlines of its children, this happens every time the text is drawn, and this can be slow. We'll look into fixing this, but probably not until after the first release now. In the meantime, it can help to select the group, then click the Edit Wrap Outline button (without editing the curve). That effectively gives the group its own outline so it doesn't have to keep calculating it. If you need to edit the contents of the group you can Reset Wrap Outline while you are working, then freeze it again after with the Edit button.

I can't tell if this is the issue with VanHeber's complex document without seeing the document, but I have seen this with other documents.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.