You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Sigh) About those RC versions...

What bothers me everytime I see those little RC's appended to the version numbers is that all the old bugs and problems from years ago are still being ignored. (Shouldn't we call them "classic" already?)

Oh well...

3 hours ago, seabirdr said:

I've learned to live in harmony with bugs. Top two Classic Bugs since Day 1 I Started using Affinity Designer:
1. Symbols will mysteriously lose connection
2. Mouse click Offset (ctrl+ click causes replication)

Symbols losing connections is an issue that has led me to not using symbols at all, for example (because I don't know when or how the connections get lost)

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

RC means Release Candidate. That means that this is considered the release version unless something unexpected is still discovered.

I'm always surprised how people call a version RC and state that new features are added. Microsoft did it a lot in the past with .NET Core versions where RC2 had a lot of breaking changes from RC1.

• Staff

It's an RC because at some point we need to update the official versions.  It's fine for everyone on the Beta getting new features, but a lot of user only take the store versions.

Also - you can argue that we should fix 100% of bugs before doing an RC - if that was what we were aiming for, we'd never release.  Believe it or not 1.7 has addressed a lot of bugs from 1.6 and earlier.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

5 hours ago, ygoe said:

RC means Release Candidate

Sure, that's what worries me. Another release and most old problems are still there.

5 hours ago, Ben said:

you can argue that we should fix 100% of bugs before doing an RC

Oh, certainly not. To quote a friend, only obsolete software isn't buggy :D I refer to those "old time favorites", things that just don't work as expected for years. You know, the ones you've never fixed and are not answered by Serif. Some of them, from the top of my head:

• Complex boolean operations
  • Constraints (lots of issues with those)
  • Expand stroke
  • Selecting then moving several artboards
  • Symbols
  • Objects moving inexpectedly when grouped / ungrouped
  • Continuous export
  • Sluggish search in assets
  • 1980's style text tabs UI
  • Performance problems in the Windows version

And so many more...

4 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

@Ben
Do you know when the boolean operations will be fixed or will they be fixed in the coming release? I know, it´s a little bit off topic in this thread.

I don't know when, but based on what Matt has said, he should be taking a look at those two oldies, in the following months: Boolean Operations and Expand Stroke.

Best regards!

Another very old, strange problem that's still present in 1.7.0.367: The keyboard doesn't work in the Layers panel. After waiting about 15-20 seconds it works again.

5 hours ago, rubs said:

Another very old, strange problem that's still present in 1.7.0.367: The keyboard doesn't work in the Layers panel. After waiting about 15-20 seconds it works again.

This seems to get worse immediately after making a copy of an existing artboard using Ctrl+Drag. (BTW doing this became unbelievably slow in the latest versions.)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.