You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reporting Localisation Issues in Windows Publisher Beta #384 (#376 #371)

• Staff

The Affinity Publisher Windows public beta #384 has all UI locales available.

In the app menu, Preferences > General you can choose any of the 10 languages, restart the application and experience Affinity Publisher in that locale.

We are hoping that the localisation is now correct, but if you see any words or phrases that are out of the ordinary, or are clipped/cropped short in the Windows build PLEASE report them in this thread, stating the language and version you are running and what OS you are seeing the problem on.

Use this thread (Do not make new threads) unless you are seeing a bug that does not happen in English, so Bugs in new threads, localisation issues in this thread.

The help file is still out for translation (sorry) but this thread can be used to report anything you see in the software.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Pinning Studio is cropped at the right side when opened with its standard settings:

pinning-studio-german.png.c11ea0da8904db6a4b5ba057580a0f51.png

Also 'Pinn lösen' looks funny. I learned that it is not wrong but more of an ancienct and regional word:
https://www.platt-wb.de/platt-hoch/?term=Pinn

Perhaps 'Anheften' instead of 'Anpinnen' would work better?

d.

OS and version see signature.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I took the time and effort to look over the german translation, now that it is said to be almost complete. Here are my findings:

• 'Assets > categories dropdown > Default' : should be called 'Standard' as in Styles.
    assets-default.png.f0faf8880d25b6f01775a1e8d85a9ba7.png

• 'Contour > Mitre' : 'Gehrung' is cut off:
    countour-cut-off.png.38d2caaebf6a4b872fb1f13706aa9785.png

• 'Contour > arrowheads > Swap arrow head with tail' : in light UI the icon is not (very good) visible:
    swap-arrow-head-with-tail.png.54742baa5a0680548f9e07bee728c98c.png

• 'Character Studio > Font Style dropdown' shows 'Regular/Italic/...'. I'm not sure if this is a font property or a missing translation.
  • 'Paragraph > Bullets & Numbering > Type: Bullet > More: Font = Arial > dropdown for unicode block selection': 'Private Use Area' is the only one that is not translated:
    privat-use-area.thumb.png.c598d3ab9bdef254e3c7f3aba1ff6a06.png

• 'Spread setup > Scaling' : 'An Layoutseite verankern' is cut off. I admit this one is tricky. I wouldn't know how to translate this better or shorter ;-)
    an-layoutseite-verankern-cut-off.thumb.png.b34cb2a449996b9ce9a8e0cbf405f43c.png

I leave it at this for now in order to get this post saved.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

There's some more. I'll report in single posts since I think this is easier to handle :)

• 'Spread properties > list of spreads': It should read 'Layoutseite 1 (Seite 1)'  instead of 'Spread 1 (Seite 1)':
    spread-properties.thumb.png.be4fdf3ead5997f6ff6bca532c195fae.png

The same applies for Master spread properties.

d.

• 'Preferences > Performance': I think 'Leistung' would be a better word, even though 'Performance' is used occasionally in German.
    preferences-performance.png.d688e86912b1323632939c30894cdfdf.png

d.

• 'Menu > Text > Spacing': there are some 'Lefts' and 'Rights' left:
    584170232_abstnde-left-right.thumb.png.8955dc0f6bba131513b5c5bbbb5e0fe3.png

• The same applies to 'Menu > Text > Baseline' and 'Menu > Text > Paragraph Leading' with 'Ups' and 'Downs'.

d.

• I am not sure if this is on purpouse or a left over: 'Text > Insert > Dashes and Hyphens > Gedankenstrich (Figure Dash)'
    figure-dash.thumb.png.26e362ee56aa9445d5ae9a5489fcf59c.png

The other dashes do not have an english translation in brackets. Strange.

d.

• One more: 'Text > Insert > Spaces and Tabs > Ziffernbreites Leerzeichen (Figure Space)':
    figures-space.thumb.png.0205fb907616e3953394a26b56e32d4c.png

Also note the 'Alt + Space' in the same menu.

d.

'View > Studio > Table > Rotation': Rotate 90 Degrees is missing its tooltip. This applies to English and German translation (and most likely to others, too).

d.

• 'Toolbar > Alignment > Align Horizontally': 'Align Left' tool tip says 'Linksbündig', 'Align Right' tooltip says 'Rechts ausrichten'.
    This is not wrong but inconsistent. Everywhere else the wording is 'Oben ausrichten', 'Unten ausrichten', etc.
    links-ausrichten.thumb.png.63303e9b2466415549ae45a597c6b5d5.png

d.

3 minutes ago, dominik said:
  • 'Toolbar > Alignment > Align Horizontally': 'Align Left' tool tip says 'Linksbündig', 'Align Right' tooltip says 'Rechts ausrichten'.
    This is not wrong but inconsistent. Everywhere else the wording is 'Oben ausrichten', 'Unten ausrichten', etc.

Note: see also 'Menu > Layer > Alignment'. There it is consistent :)

d.

• 'Layer Effects > Outer Glow > Blendmode > Screen': german translation 'Negativ multiplizieren' is cut off.
    layereffect-glow.thumb.png.647e860dd0c72f9024ac28819bf96c15.png

This also applies to 'Inner Glow'.

d.

'Menu > View > Studio > Stock'. It is 'Stock' in the german UI, as well, but this is not a word used in german language (it may be understood by people in the design business). It is not easy to translate. I would suggest 'Bildarchive'. Other ideas from german forumsters?

d.

• 'Menu > View > Grid and Axis Manager > Manage Presets': The list of presets gets cut off (there is a scrollbar at the bottom, though, the window itself cannot be resized):
    grid-and-axis-presets.thumb.png.c59b31a1fb7e15952c36cdc88687e872.png

d.

4 hours ago, dominik said:

'Menu > View > Studio > Stock'. It is 'Stock' in the german UI, as well, but this is not a word used in german language (it may be understood by people in the design business). It is not easy to translate. I would suggest 'Bildarchive'. Other ideas from german forumsters?

d.

"Bilddatenbanken" would be a suggestion too. Look, f.e. at Fotolia. They call themself "Bilddatenbank".
It´s not easy to translate "Stock".

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Hello,
First, a big thanks for this application, great job !
Just tried the new beta (1.7.0.337, french version) and I found some missing spaces in right-clic menu of a text box and "Texte" sub-menu (see joined picture).
Example :
"Aligneraucentre -> Aligner au centre" ; "Justificationgauche -> Justification gauche" ; "Interlignagede paragraphe -> Interlignage de paragraphe"...

I don't know if this bug had already been reported. Hope I can help.

Cedric

Capture.jpg

• Staff

@Mathey Cedric

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Thank you for picking this up. I am going to merge your helpful post into another exiting thread, where we are trying to keep all these issues in one place, as they are often fixed at the same time.

The latest build is actually 1.7.0.371 available from a link at the top of this pinned thread here. Please confirm this space problem is still true in this newer build

If you find more then please post them in this thread I am merging into (rather making a new one)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello

This is german. afpub .371

the marked "Anordnen" should be "Ausrichten", since it refers to the tools to the right.

Screenshot (1)_LI.jpg

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

58 minutes ago, ivbera said:

the marked "Anordnen" should be "Ausrichten", since it refers to the tools to the right.

In English, the one marked Anordnen is "alignment" and the ones marked Ausrichten are "align". So they aren't quite identical in English, and perhaps both shouldn't be Asrichten  in German. But yes, Anordnen seems wrong :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You are right. The exact translation would be:

alignment = Ausrichtung 

align = Ausrichten

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Hello,
After browsing the software, here are the changes that could be made in the menus and sub-menus.
Version 1.7.0.376 French

"Édition"
- Collage spécia... > Collage spécial...

"Texte"
    - Espacement
        - Paramètrepar défaut > Paramètre par défaut
        - Condenserdavantage > Condenser davantage

- Ligature
        - Toututiliser > Tout utiliser

- Ligne de base

- Alignement
        - Alignerau centre > Aligner au centre
        - Alignerà droite > Aligner à droite
        - Justificationgauche > Justification gauche

- Interlignagede paragraphe > Interlignage de paragraphe

- Insérerun texte d'exemple > Insérer un texte d'exemple

- Insérer
        - Tirets et traits d'union
            - Tiretconditionnel > Tiret conditionnel

"Affichage"
    - Zoom
        - 100% > 100 %
        - 200% > 200 %
        - 400% > 400 %
        - 800% > 800 %

More generally, on the entire software, a space is missing before the ":" and before "%" (In France, we place two spaces around double signs (:;!?).)

"Imprimer"
- Check box "Inverser", the text doesn't appear in full
- Disposition
    - Taille de papier: Défini par pilote > Défini par le pilote

"Préférences"
    - "Raccourcis clavier" : missing space like in "Texte" sub-menu.

"Gestionnaire de section" in "Document" sub-menu
    - "Commencer à la page" is truncated

Interesting work that allowed me to quickly browse the features of the program.

Edited by Mathey Cedric

Hi!

I have several questions regarding the Spanish translation.

"New Document"

If Maestro predeterminado [Default Master] refers to a master page, shouldn't be Maestra predeterminada instead? Master page in Spanish is página maestra and also a female noun.

Also, in Política de ubicación de imágenes [Image Placement Policy], I think it should be Incrustadas/Enlazadas instead of Preferir incrustados/Preferir enlazados [Prefer Embedded/Prefer Linked]. It sounds quite literal and imágenes is a female noun in Spanish.

Captura1.PNG.eecdea9843f0a5f432c3d6c7ce496d67.PNG

Edited by Llyud

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.