You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By Design] [AD] Inconsistant behaviour on 'break curve' layer creation (different layer order)

In another thread on the forum we just found an inconsistancy in the software while using 'break curve'.

There is a different result when selecting multiple nodes and than press 'break curve' than when you single select a node, press 'break curve' and than select the other node and press 'break curve'.

Break on multiple nodes seem to behave differently than break on single nodes per step:
* When we select both upper nodes and press 'break curve' --> The broken section we get as a new curve-layer UNDER the current layer, and Designer select both layers
* When we select the left node first, press 'break curve', than selected the right node and press 'break curve' --> The broken section we get as a new curve-layer ABOVE the current layer, and designer select both layers

In the first situation when a user clicks on a node that just got broken, we select the original shape (it has priority above the broken-out part). But in the second situation when a user clicks on that node, he selects the new node on the broken-out part and moves the broken curve-node (it has priority above the original shape because of the layer order is different now).

I would expect both situations to have the same layer priorities as result. Where the just broken-out curve-layer would best be on top I think, so that layer is selected in the viewport so we can immediately move the broken-out curve after pressing 'break-curve'.

This is happening in both the current version (1.6.5.123) as well as in version 1.7 RC2 (1.7.0.350)

Video

* First I use break the curve by selecting the upper nodes one by one and using 'break curve' on each node.
--> result is the new layer with the broken curve-segment is on top, so the nodes of the just created curve (the broken segment) are on top and got selected when clicking or dragselect, because that layer is the upper layer
* Than I multi-select both upper-nodes at once and press 'break curve' once
--> result is the new layer with the broken curve-segment is on the bottom, so the nodes of the original curve (with fill) are on top and got selected when clicking or dragselect, because that layer is the upper layer

I agree that there is an inconsistency in your outcomes. All I can say is that both work as expected for me.  What version of AD are you using? What Operating System? I would guess that you are (like me) on Windows.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I agree that there is an inconsistency in your outcomes. All I can say is that both work as expected for me.  What version of AD are you using? What Operating System? I would guess that you are (like me) on Windows.

John

John, it's nice you are trying to help me and agree, but I posted this in 'Bugs under Windows' and mentioned the exact Designer-versions I tested this in, including the latest RC2 beta, so I'd say all info is already there for the Affinity developers to read.

@Friksel, Sorry, I watched the video, but did not register the information above. Many users here find it helpful to list their version numbers and OS in their information panel at the bottom of each message. You can do this using your Profile. Mine needs updating!

John.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I'm not sure it's a bug, it depends of the curve's direction. If you reverse the curve, the line will be above (instead of under) the remaining nodes.

Same if you take as second break point a node to the right (instead of the  left) of the original red one.

7 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi all,

@Wosven is right. This is not a bug. The layer order depends on the direction in which you break the curve. :)

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks for your reaction @GabrielM

That's fine, but how can we set the curve order while breaking the curve with multiselecting the nodes we'd like to break? I tried both directions during selection, but the selection doesn't remember the first and second node you select during a marquee-selection and that makes sense, because nowhere in Windows I know of the order of a marquee selection is remembered.

I don't like to single select each node and press 'break curve' on each node, because I already know I want to break a segment from a path and this situation (wanting to break a segment instead of just one node) I have a lot.

What's the reason the layer order depends on the direction in which you break a curve? When would you like to have the cut-out segment on the layer under the current one instead of above? Why wouldn't we always want the same layer order after breaking a curve to make behaviour consistant? To me as a user that's confusing. I'm curious

• Staff
14 hours ago, Friksel said:

What's the reason the layer order depends on the direction in which you break a curve? When would you like to have the cut-out segment on the layer under the current one instead of above? Why wouldn't we always want the same layer order after breaking a curve to make behaviour consistant? To me as a user that's confusing. I'm curious

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this. What I know is that it's been like this since day-1 and we have not had any other reports of this "issue". 

Moved to feature requests.