You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD - ANSWERED] How to select the new node(s) in the back after 'break curve'?

Hi,

After using 'break curve' Designer generates new nodes for the new broken nodes/segments. But the new nodes are behind the existing nodes, so when selecting using click it selects the existing nodes, because these are on top.

Most of the time I would like to select the new nodes (of the broken part) instead. But how can we do that?

See video:

* Select two anchors of a shape
* Break the curve --> Designer adds new nodes on the same place for the broken curve
* Try to select the nodes of the broken curve-segment without moving the existing nodes...
  I would like to move the broken segment nodes up, but I can't manage to find a way to do this without moving the 'old' nodes first...

I tried holding ctrl, alt and shift when selecting the nodes to get the back-node instead of the front-node, but that doesn't work.

How can we select these back-nodes (of the broken segment)?

I would guess that you have not actually broken the curve, otherwise it would not retain its fill. Have you tried breaking just one corner?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

7 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I would guess that you have not actually broken the curve, otherwise it would not retain its fill. Have you tried breaking just one corner?

John

Thanks for your reply. It actually did brake the curve. Technically a fill automatically connects the last node to the first node to fill the region. Even if there's no connected curve. The same happens on svg online for example. That's part of the algorythm to draw fills.

You can also see it's broken, because there are new nodes inserted under the broken nodes so you can move the broken segment [see video]. And the new nodes don't affect the fill of the shape anymore.

4 minutes ago, Friksel said:

It actually did brake the curve

It is still behaving as if the curve has not been broken.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

If it was broken, then dragging one node (the top one) would pull away, leaving the other behind. If the fill was, as you say, filling the gap, it would also be seen as such.

John

Just now, Wosven said:

Hi,

Look at you layer panel: first you only have the square.

After breaking the nodes, you have 2 layers : one with a line at the bottom (the nodes you want), and one with the remaining nodes of the square.

Alright! Thanks a lot @Wosven! How could I have missed that all previous times before! Damn. That actually makes a lot of sense and makes everything pretty easy to edit and do stuff! Thanks a lot. Great to know now! :)

4 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

If it was broken, then dragging one node (the top one) would pull away, leaving the other behind. If the fill was, as you say, filling the gap, it would also be seen as such.

John

John, take a look at the video; that's exactly what's happening. The top node (so the already existing node) is moving away when I pull it and changes the fill accodingly, so thats completely as expected. Underneath you see the bottom node, which is part of the new broken-out-segment. And that one isn't affecting the fill, as expected, because it's broken from the curve and got seperated to be a new curve. That new broken-out-curve might have a fill of its own, but you will never see it this way, because that shape only exists of a staight line of 2 nodes.

@Friksel, take a look at this video. I first converted the rectangle to curves, which you also seem to have done. I then marquee-selected the top left node and clicked on the Break Curve icon. I then selected the top-left node and pulled it away. As I predicted, it moved away, leaving the false line to accommodate the fill. I then cancelled this and marquee-selected the top two nodes and selected Break Curve. I selected the top right node, then to top left, and each of these moved away as expected.

To re-iterate, your curve (square) has not been broken.

Note that this recording seems to have included some cut-and-paste which I'm sure I did not perform.

566469638_BreakCurve.thumb.gif.7e63dbde7af41291e75c9d349793c3a7.gif

John

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

To re-iterate, your curve (square) has not been broken.

@John Rostron Sorry, but you're just not right; We BOTH have broken the curve and we both did it right. But we did it a different way and by this we just happened to find an inconsistancy in the software here:

Break on multiple nodes seem to behave differently than break on single nodes per step:

* I selected both upper nodes and pressed 'break curve' --> I got the broken section as a new curve UNDER the current layer, and Designer select both layers
* You selected the left node first, pressed 'break curve', than selected the right node and pressed 'break curve' --> You got the broken section as a new curve ABOVE the current layer, and designer select both layers

So that explains why I selected the nodes on the original curve during a click on a node (that layer is on top in the selected layers) and you got the nodes of the broken-out curve (that layer is on top in selected layers).

We both did it the right way and got a broken curve, but Designer gave a different result somehow.

I'll put this in the bug/feature request forum

Could you explain what the lower of your two layers is. It is labelled '(Curve)', but appears to be empty. It also seems to come and go during the procedure.

John

If you break the curve by selecting the right top node first and then the left top node you get the same result as if you select both nodes and break them i.e the line is at the bottom of the layer stack. As long as its right to left when selecting nodes the line will be on the bottom of the layer stack. Same with top to bottom or bottom to top the latter will give you the line at the bottom of the layer stack. 

I think this is node voodoo at play.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Could you explain what the lower of your two layers is. It is labelled '(Curve)', but appears to be empty. It also seems to come and go during the procedure.

The lower curve in the video was created by breaking a closed curve that had no stroke, so it also has no stroke. It also has the same fill as the original but since it is a straight line it has no inside to fill & thus it is effectively invisible. If that curve is then bent, for instance like in this break curve example.afdesign file (history included), even though it is an open curve it will have an inside which will fill, making it visible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7