You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smoothing Selections

3 hours ago, Engine44 said:

I have a bird that I’ve selected.  However, the edges are somewhat rough.  What tools could I use to smooth or feather the edges?  Thanks.

I think that developers could do better. I remember many years ago the selection tools of other graphic softwares was rough. Then things are get better. In Affinity software the selection tool is the weaker point.

Selection quality relies on being able to define the edges. You need a high resolution image and the better the definition between selection and background, the better it will work. There are some methods that can help such as using channels for selections, adding contrast to selections, Curves Adjustment, saturation etc etc, to improve boundaries. The adjustments are non destructive and can be removed once Selection is completed. You can also use the Edit menu selection option to pick hues etc. There should be some  good videos around to show how to apply these techniques. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

9 hours ago, DM1 said:

Selection quality relies on being able to define the edges. You need a high resolution image and the better the definition between selection and background, the better it will work. There are some methods that can help such as using channels for selections, adding contrast to selections, Curves Adjustment, saturation etc etc, to improve boundaries. The adjustments are non destructive and can be removed once Selection is completed. You can also use the Edit menu selection option to pick hues etc. There should be some  good videos around to show how to apply these techniques. :)

Thank DM1 for answer, but I find lots of behavior of AD very strange. Just an example in video.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:42 AM, DM1 said:

DM1  did you watch my video? In your opinion is it a bug? 

Hi Angelos58,  is that a pixel brush line you are selecting? Not sure why but it appears you used the outline or smooth selection tool? I used the Select sampled colour picker and had a good result. Bit hard to tell what brush you used as you are zoomed right in. A soft brush will result in a poor selection due to the 'soft' outline.

Below is a basic hard brush painted pixel line, selected with Select sampled colour picker then copy pasted. You can see the result is tight selection.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Hi Angelos58,  is that a pixel brush line you are selecting? Not sure why but it appears you used the outline or smooth selection tool? I used the Select sampled colour picker and had a good result. Bit hard to tell what brush you used as you are zoomed right in. A soft brush will result in a poor selection due to the 'soft' outline.

Below is a basic hard brush painted pixel line, selected with Select sampled colour picker then copy pasted. You can see the result is tight selection.

Thank DM1 for the reply.  I certainly expressed myself badly.  The curve that you see in my video is made in vector graphics.  Then I switched to pixel person and tried to make a simple selection of the interior to be able to color it.  What I wanted you to notice is that after making the first selection, if I try to round it I get a visible rounding but as soon as I confirm everything it returns, at least the selection returns, as before .  That is, the selection is angular and not rounded.

Hi Angelos58, yes I see what you mean. I've never thought to do that. It would be easier to fill the vector, make the outline transparent and rasterise the layer. Having said that, I can draw an ellipse, rasterise it, select inside and use the smooth selection tool to remove pixel aberration, but as you have stated,  tapping the accept tick sees the selection revert to the jagged pixel outline. I'm not sure how it is meant to operate but it seems like an issue to me. I think you should report it on the beta thread. :)

Edit. Definitely a bug. The smooth selection works in Photo beta.