You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying gradients from context toolbar - 2 annoyances

Hi,

I may be doing something wrong so I apologize in advance if that's the case, but I've noticed two rather odd behaviours when applying gradients from the context toolbar.

1. To apply the gradient you have to select a type from the dropdown list. So if you want a linear gradient ( as we often do ) you first have to select radial, and then select linear. Not a great workflow.

2. When I apply a linear gradient in this way, by defaut it only applies to half the object ( see attachment ), I then have to select the fill tool and drag the gradient to the full width of the object. Again - not a great workflow.

These things should be very simple and intuitive. Both processes currently feel like a workaround.

gradient.JPG

There are several ways to use the Fill (gradient) tool.  Personally I use the context toolbar very little.  If you select the Fill (gradient) tool then just start drawing on your shape it will automatically create a linear gradient.  I then click on the handles individually and set the color and opacity from the normal color panel.  I hope this helps.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hi Gear maker,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm aware of using the Fill ( gradient ) tool as you describe, I just thought it was very odd that applying a linear gradient to an object via the context menu actually only applies it to half the object. I can't believe it's by design - maybe I missed something. I shall go back and have another look..... 

41 minutes ago, razorpig said:

Hi Gear maker,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm aware of using the Fill ( gradient ) tool as you describe, I just thought it was very odd that applying a linear gradient to an object via the context menu actually only applies it to half the object. I can't believe it's by design - maybe I missed something. I shall go back and have another look..... 

It doesn't only apply to half the object, unless you make it that way. If white is one of the colors in the gradient, and you have a white desktop/background, it would appear it is only being applied to half the object. A gradient has 2 (or more) points where you define the colors. The gradient extends across the entire object, be it a shape or an entire pixel layer. You decide where and how much. If you start your gradient half way across an object, then everything to say the outer side of that point will be the solid color selected. Also I noticed in your OP, you thought a radial gradient must be created first before a linear. The program remembers the last type used, and will present you with it when next used.

I've noticed with Affinity Photo, if you have used a linear gradient and want a radial or elliptical, the gradient will appear outside the shape. This means the gradient control handles need to be dragged into the shape, for say an ellipse or circle. I wish had more time, I would do a short video showing all this. I need to prepare to go to a family reunion now.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

18 hours ago, razorpig said:

Hi,

I may be doing something wrong so I apologize in advance if that's the case, but I've noticed two rather odd behaviours when applying gradients from the context toolbar.

1. To apply the gradient you have to select a type from the dropdown list. So if you want a linear gradient ( as we often do ) you first have to select radial, and then select linear. Not a great workflow.

What version & platform are you using?

My experience w. both the Mac 1.6.1 consumer and the 1.7.0.12 beta is that the default is a linear gradient, and that the gradient extends from the far left to the far right of the object bounding box.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi,

I'm using 1.7.0.367 ( Beta ) on Windows 10. I've made a short video which hopefully shows both issues.

@Ron - Many thanks for your input. Hopefully this video will clarify the issues. It's not that the linear gradient setting isn't being 'remembered', but it's not being applied to the object. To apply it, I have to select a gradient type, but since linear is already selected I have to first select radial, and then linear ( as shown in the video ). You should also see that the gradient is only extending to the halfway line by default, I then have to stretch it out to the full width of the object. I'm aware that a gradient has two ( or more ) colours ;-)

It's applying the gradient to half your rectangle because you first apply the radial gradient, and this one begin at the center of the shape.

You can click "Reverse", and your gradient won't begin at the center.

If you switch to the Gradient Tool (key G) before selecting the gradient type in the menu, you'll have a gradient from color toward a darker colour, that's usefull for shadows, instead of the white to colour gradient added whitout selecting the Gradient Tool.

PS. It's interesting that the center/begining of the radial gradient is kept when selecting another type of gradient, since the application doesn't know if the new type of gradient is applied to a "basic" gradient (like your default white to colour one) or to a specific gradient we made and want to keep at the same position.

PS2. A solution to avoid the need to select another gradient than the Linear one (they have center/begining point different from the linear one), would be to "see" the applied gradients while hovering on the menu, and the gradient applied only when clicking on one of the gradients, if no previous gradient is applied to the shape, with default begining and end points.

Edited by Wosven
Added PS. and PS2

That's perfect ! Thank you Wosven. Really appreciate the detailed explanation. Clicking on reverse is a much simpler, although still slightly obscure solution.

So ironically, the first 'annoyance' was the direct cause of the second !? All the more reason for them to try and address the former.

Your additinal points are also very noteworthy. I hope someone's reading them. Many thanks again.