You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

adjustment layer turned to legacy adjustment

Hello

I opened a file in beta #371, which I created in #337
In this file I have one picture which has a white balance adjustment layer.
When opened in #371 this layer turned to a legacy adjustment layer. And the jpg got a violet tint.
When adjusting the % of white balance, the white balance is normal again as I intended.
The assistant tells me it updated the legacy adjustment.

I cannot recreate it with just one beta.

Edit: I could copy this layer. and it also has a mask in it, which I am not sure how this works.

1.jpg

2.jpg851535185_Screenshot(43).thumb.png.7e1bc6d5a942934168d439d73fe3268a.png

whitebalance bug.afpub

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Ok. The WB-mask had something black in it. Maybe I pressed some shortcut combination. I dont know, why I didn't check this.

But I am still courious, can someone explain what a "Legacy White Balance" is?

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

@ivbera

can someone explain what a "Legacy White Balance" is?

Perhaps an indication that the change was made in an older version of the software or even that the White Balance has undergone some code change and the older code is now "legacy"?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Oh. Literally. I always thought about serifs legacy range.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

The White Balance (and possibly some other) adjustment was modified in 1.7 to work differently (better), but it changed the appearance of older files.

As a workaround, the latest beta versions recognize those adjustments and mark them as "legacy"  and interpret the settings the say way that 1.6 did.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:09 PM, ivbera said:

In this file I have one picture which has a white balance adjustment layer.
When opened in #371 this layer turned to a legacy adjustment layer. And the jpg got a violet tint.

I'm curious about that "And the jpg got a violet tint." First, JPGs don't have adjustment layers; that would only be the .afphoto file, or a .tiff exported with Affinity Layers saved. Second, by having the Legacy adjustment layer the colors should be preserved, not changed.

So, where did "jpg" come into it, and how did it get a tint?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your explanation. I am fairly new to the beta.

About the jpg:
1. It is a linked jpg. And in the layers I applied a WB-Adjustment to it. So when I said jpg, I meant the image layer in publisher and not the actual jpg-file.
2. I attached a file in the first post. There you can see the whitebalance is off.

Also I was confused, because I first tried it in German. And there the assistant says (translated) "the assistant updated the adjustment to the old method", which has a different meaning for me. Also in German it didn't say it is a "legacy"-layer, the name is just displayed the normal way.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks. Build 337 was the last one which converted 1.6 adjustments to 1.7 adjustments automatically. Build 371 introduced the legacy feature, where the adjustment layers from 1.6 are imported as "legacy", keeping their look. If one wants to modify them, they will automatically be converted to new 1.7 adjustments. It looks like the pre-371 projects are treated as 1.6 and therefore use the wrong set of values. I don't believe this will be addressed/fixed as it's only affecting pre-371 beta only projects, which should not be carried over in the 1.7 non-beta.  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.