You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.371

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: 64 Bit Win 7 SP1 / Win 8.1 / Win 10  (>=1607)

We are pleased to announce Affinity Publisher build 371 is now available as a manual download from the link above. To be notified when there is a new beta please press follow on this announcement thread

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

New Features / Improvements

Drag & Drop of story text within document. Drag / drop of inline pinned nodes.
Added option to "Apply Paragraph Style and Clear Character Styles" to text styles. 
Added option to "Reapply Base Styles" to Text menus.
Added menu option to delete unused text styles.
Added align 'Towards Spine' and 'Away From Spine'.

Fixes

Main Window / Studio
Fix for page thumbnails not updating when linked images are loaded
Fixed crash duplicating page when something is selected on a master page
(Win) New documents open into the current view group. (e.g. Floating).
(Mac) Fixed swatch palettes for non-English UI languages

Tools
Fix for inability to change the font when using the Text tool before creating the text
Fix for Text frame ruler not honouring offsets
Fixed table resizing issues
Added 'Edit Image' for linked raster images

Import
File > Place still lets you place an image with text frame selected
Fixed possible hang with File > Place if location ceases to exist
Added access to Font Manager from Missing Fonts notification message
More DocX fixes, including Section Breaks, WMF / EMF, Table improvements
RTF Import - Non-English language improvements
Fixed crash linking multiple embedded resources in Resource Manager

Text
Fix bug that could cause failure to draw line from floating node to pin
Pinned nodes now positioned correctly in vertically aligned text
Update pins when node crop changes
Fixed Vertical alignment in text frame with baseline grid
Paragraph decorations no longer skip empty lines
No longer suppress underlines on trailing tabs (e.g. so they can be used to draw forms)
Fix for Text Content Toolbar not correctly reporting colour
Auto-correct fixes

Tables
Ctrl-Click multiple table cells now works

Export
(Mac) Fix for PDF Export UI 
Fixed error in size of Export bitmaps when exporting with bleed
PDF Export - Avoid failure filling zero-sized shapes
PDF Export - Overprint handling tweak
PDF Export - Explicit option to control whether images are converted to destination colour space
RTF Export - Non-English language improvements

---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 337

Nice splash :D

afinity_publisher_splash.jpg.492dc788df1bce116855af6eeb764ebb.jpg

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

8 hours ago, AdamW said:

Thanks for that one. I've been missing it for awhile now :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, AdamW said:

However, I'm curious why it's only for linked raster images, and not also for embedded raster images. Is there any further information available about that?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

However, I'm curious why it's only for linked raster images, and not also for embedded raster images. Is there any further information available about that?

Could have something to do with the Photo persona?

Thanks for this new Beta. I like the new Logo which is shown at startup. And i have a feeling that the App starts up much faster than before. That´s not only with Publisher, since the last  Photo and Designer Beta, with them it´s the same :)
Great Job guys. Thumbs up

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Wooow.

Fast start and problem with RTF format saved from Word, now solved.

Thanks, A-Team.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Still having the same problems I reported in other threads: since the last 2 builds, I am unable to export to a pdf. It crashes on the export screen and I'm unable to make any other choices.  This is for a large file of 365 pages. It will also crash if I try to print. It seems to work ok on a small file of 25 pages or so. (I've already sent the files in to Help). Also, the large file is very very slow to load. It appears the new build didn't solve the problem.

13 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

and problem with RTF format saved from Word, now solved.

May I ask, is this the RTF format problem we had a conversation yesterday? I'd be glad if it would work for you as well :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

16 minutes ago, dominik said:

May I ask, is this the RTF format problem we had a conversation yesterday? I'd be glad if it would work for you as well :)

d.

Yes, that one. :)

I suppose the problem was with the cyrilic support.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 6/1/2019 at 2:20 AM, walt.farrell said:

Because APub doesn't know where the original of an embedded image is (theoretically). The result of the image editing would have no effect on the image in the layout and would therefore be somewhat meaningless. Unless, of course, you prefer in the future to do image editing in the photo persona rather than in the original application. :S

1 hour ago, Michail said:

Because APub doesn't know where the original of an embedded image is (theoretically). The result of the image editing would have no effect on the image in the layout and would therefore be somewhat meaningless. Unless, of course, you prefer in the future to do image editing in the photo persona rather than in the original application. :S

Thanks, Michail. I thought about that, but the result of a "Save" could, for an embedded image, be applied to the active Publisher document and not affect the original file. There are times I might want only a local change, and being able to edit just the embedded image in an isolated state like we can now do with a linked image could be useful.

Of course, if one has an embedded image one could always maked it Linked using the Resource Manager, use "Edit Image", then make it Embedded again. So it can be done, just with a few more steps.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

There are times I might want only a local change, and being able to edit just the embedded image in an isolated state like we can now do with a linked image could be useful.

I have only tried to explain why this button does not exist for embedded images.

You're right: Even with embedded images, there must be a way to go directly to a single image to edit it. Then, of course, the image editing only refers to the image in the layout.

My suggestion: There are two different buttons in the same place:
- For linked images it is called "Edit original".
- For embedded images it is called "Edit Image".

One major issue I reported some time ago regarding Master Pages not being honoured when a single page is inserted still has not been changed. Inserting a single page in APub messes up the Master Page layout. I know you might feel this is a "feature," but to me it's a broken one. In PP Master Pages are always honoured. It looks like Master Pages in APub are only dynamic templates, and not true masters. What boggles my mind is that you own the PP code and could have simply referred to it when coding the APub Master Pages. Your new Master Page philosophy is a deal breaker for me. I can't use APub for laying out novels because the insertion of a single page forces me to reapply the Master Page for ALL SUCCEEDING PAGES and realign all text frames within the margins. In a 250-300 page novel, that becomes untenable. I had great hopes, since I am quite happy with APhoto and switched from Photoshop. But, my APub hopes are dashed. Good for small layouts but not big ones. I'll keep checking in future releases to see if you've changed your Master Page processing. Thanks for the Beta discount, but won't be using it.

• Staff

Hi ToOldForThis,

Thank you for your feedback We are aware of the issue you have raised - indeed I know I have responded to you previously. We plan to make more improvements to Master Pages and content handling after launch.