You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.371

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher build 371 is now available as a manual download from the link above. To be notified when there is a new beta please press follow on this announcement thread.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread. 

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

New Features / Improvements

Drag & Drop of story text within document. Drag / drop of inline pinned nodes.
Added option to "Apply Paragraph Style and Clear Character Styles" to text styles. 
Added option to "Reapply Base Styles" to Text menus.
Added menu option to delete unused text styles.
Added align 'Towards Spine' and 'Away From Spine'.

Fixes

Main Window / Studio
Fix for page thumbnails not updating when linked images are loaded
Fixed crash duplicating page when something is selected on a master page
(Win) New documents open into the current view group. (e.g. Floating).
(Mac) Fixed swatch palettes for non-English UI languages

Tools
Fix for inability to change the font when using the Text tool before creating the text
Fix for Text frame ruler not honouring offsets
Fixed table resizing issues
Added 'Edit Image' for linked raster images

Import
File > Place still lets you place an image with text frame selected
Fixed possible hang with File > Place if location ceases to exist
Added access to Font Manager from Missing Fonts notification message
More DocX fixes, including Section Breaks, WMF / EMF, Table improvements
RTF Import - Non-English language improvements
Fixed crash linking multiple embedded resources in Resource Manager

Text
Fix bug that could cause failure to draw line from floating node to pin
Pinned nodes now positioned correctly in vertically aligned text
Update pins when node crop changes
Fixed Vertical alignment in text frame with baseline grid
Paragraph decorations no longer skip empty lines
No longer suppress underlines on trailing tabs (e.g. so they can be used to draw forms)
Fix for Text Content Toolbar not correctly reporting colour
Auto-correct fixes

Tables
Ctrl-Click multiple table cells now works

Export
(Mac) Fix for PDF Export UI 
Fixed error in size of Export bitmaps when exporting with bleed
PDF Export - Avoid failure filling zero-sized shapes
PDF Export - Overprint handling tweak
PDF Export - Explicit option to control whether images are converted to destination colour space
RTF Export - Non-English language improvements

---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 337

Based on the fact that the Photo beta is now listed as "gold master" and this is not (and is still getting new features), am I correct in guessing that the official release of Publisher is not happening at the same time as Photo and Designer?

6 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Based on the fact that the Photo beta is now listed as "gold master" and this is not (and is still getting new features), am I correct in guessing that the official release of Publisher is not happening at the same time as Photo and Designer?

Tut tut!    Where is the suspense???    Patrick and his cat were holding two fingers/paws.    Was this a clue to 2 weeks?    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Is there any official comment on PDF-pass-through functionality?
Planned? In Progress? Coming later, but not in the initial release? Not planned at all?

I need this for almost every publication (most adverts come as PDF files) and re-saving PDFs as high-res TIF files (to ensure correct output) takes up a lot of space.

2 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Was this a clue to 2 weeks?

If you check the "gold master" release thread for the Photo beta it indicates that unless something major is found, the Photo release will be next week.

I find it unlikely that the already-released apps will be updated out of sync (due to file compatibility issues) so presumably that means Designer also.

Publisher has never been released, so with new features still being added, no "gold master" yet, etc., I'm guessing they might be planning on holding that for a bit longer to polish it off a bit more.

This would also explain the missing "Edit in Publisher" menu items from the Photo and Designer betas, if they had come to the conclusion that this might happen...

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Publisher has never been released, so with new features still being added

Like this!    Ver'r'r'r'r'y curious.

1479020534_ScreenShot2019-05-31at12_59_42PM.thumb.png.8be3c0d1d5c87e7888c47a0ddb2b4d68.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

16 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Really nice the new splash screen!!

Really? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if Serif made their splash screens to be a bitmap like Xara products, I would make my own in a heartbeat...even though I only see it for mere seconds. (Xara has made some funky ones too. And I changed them as well.)

Sorry Adam.

Just pre-ordered YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hooray!!!!   Pre-ordered and so excited!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I like the splash screen but find it odd that it references the old icon.

You didn't pick up on the fact that the Triangle is producing Quadrilaterals, or is eating them or I have too much imagination.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You didn't pick up on the fact that the Triangle is producing Quadrilaterals, or is eating them or I have too much imagination.

You have too much imagination! :D

The new Designer and Photo splash screens also reference the old icon, so it would be rather odd if the Publisher splash screen didn’t do the same.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)