You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overlapping nodes behaviour

Hi,

Could anyone shed some light on this behaviour when overlapping 2 nodes by draggin one on top of the other? It changes the paths of one of the curves and I am a bit confused on why this is happening. I never experienced this so I assume it has to do with some of the new node tool functionalities, but I don't get to see what or why... Also, it's a bit hard to replicate... Sometimes this happens, sometimes is really hard to replicate. Thanks!

I can’t try it myself right now, Isabel, but I wonder if it has something to do with the directions of the curves. In your video clip, the top curve has the red end node on the right and the bottom curve has the red end node on the left.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I wonder if it has something to do with the directions of the curves.

Possible, but this shouldn't affect the curve on a different path. So, it looks like a  bug to me.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Thanks both for the reply. I am still struggling to get this to replicate on the mac. Even getting the nodes to perfectly overlap which is what happened when the curves changed (if that's what it is supposed to be doing when the icon changes to just 1 square from the original 2),  it's hard to get done as it seems to happen (or work) 10% of the times only, which might be also a bug? Seems to be easier in the windows version though.

It has happened several times to me that when overlapping 2 nodes from different curves, the paths change to something different. No idea if intentional or not yet... haven't made up my mind hahaha..

So 2 issues here I'd say I find, if I'm understanding this right:

1. Hard to get it to do this overlapping consistently (change from 2 little squares icons on the node tool to just 1)

2. Change of curves in one of the 2 paths when a node in being overlapped into another curve's node.

Not a bug. 

This is a new feature that allows matching part of one curve to the shape of another by copying the nodes. 

1. Draw two wiggly lines. 
  2. Select both. 
  3. With the node tool: select a few of the nodes from the middle of one line, ensuring that both lines remain selected. 
  4. Drag one selected node over a node in the other line. 
  5. Wait. 
  6. After a few seconds, all selected nodes should snap to the nodes of the second line, copying its shape. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

5. Wait. 

Thanks a lot,  Aammppaa. I got all until the 5th point... although I was not 100% sure about the use of it... Now I get it!

After all, it was the "long" wait that got it all confusing, as it seemed to be sometimes working, sometimes not. Now I wait a bit longer and it works all the time. And Alfred was right, the fact that the starting and ending nodes are flipped, makes them swirl like this.

Solved then! Thanks y'all!

Kiss,

I.

Glad that you got it to work!

There should be an mouse pointer (two little squares, one white one grey) that indicated you are hovering in the right place to copy the node shapes.

Also the status bar changes to "Hover to copy the node"

However, right now, although I see both of those indicators, nothing is happening!!

Not sure how I broke it 

Working again! Mysterious.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Yes I could see the icons, but didn't remember to look at the status bar with the info so I wasn't sure what they meant... it's a bit down there to the left and I didn't even see the hint, even knowing one always gets that info in the bar for extra help :S

It all works very well now :)

I am not really sure when I would use this functionality!

Especially as it doesn't really work unless the two lines are drawn in the same direction.

• Staff

NO - absolutely NOT a bug.

It's a feature - you've got to really want to use it - since you have to drag over another curve node, AND wait for a long hover.  You'll also notice that the hint line cunningly tells you what to expect.  I'm amazed that no one ever seems to read it - since it tells you what the tool can do at any moment in time.  The cursor also changes - no one spotted that either???

The feature will copy a run of handles.  If you multi-select, it will match up all the handles either side of the one being dragged.  For people who replicate sections of geometry for layering curves (for effects, etc), this is very useful.  Since we don't have a copy-n-paste of a sub-curve section, this is faster than using snapping to replicate curve nodes and handles.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

As for the node flipping/twisting direction - it's supposed to try match the direction, so that shouldn't happen.  There may be a tolerance bug in there.  If you could link you example, I can test it.

I've tried replicating your example, above but mine is watching the curve in the correction direction, without flipping the point.  Your test file would be useful.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Here is an example of something weird. It depends on which node I drag. Each curve has 5 points, they were both drawn from left to right. Two nodes selected and only one node to the left on each curve.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

There's some logic which tries to work out which is the best fit direction to copy the nodes in.  It does this primarily from the directions of the two handles - the closest match governs which way the nodes are copied.  The problem is your nodes are almost 90 degrees to the target nodes, so it is picking the closest direction, but probably not what you hoped.  If you nodes were closer to the right direction it should work more reliably.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

19 hours ago, Ben said:

You'll also notice that the hint line cunningly tells you what to expect.  I'm amazed that no one ever seems to read it - since it tells you what the tool can do at any moment in time.

Ben, one cause of the hint line not being read is that those of us that use Separated mode don't get to see the hint line.  The better part of a year ago the hint line was showing but I think it disappeared when I had to do a reset of AD.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

5 hours ago, Ben said:

There's some logic which tries to work out which is the best fit direction to copy the nodes in.  It does this primarily from the directions of the two handles - the closest match governs which way the nodes are copied.  The problem is your nodes are almost 90 degrees to the target nodes, so it is picking the closest direction, but probably not what you hoped.  If you nodes were closer to the right direction it should work more reliably.

Ah, so it isn't a bug but a feature. Now that I know how it works I can use it properly. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, Ben said:

As for the node flipping/twisting direction - it's supposed to try match the direction, so that shouldn't happen.  There may be a tolerance bug in there.  If you could link you example, I can test it.

I've tried replicating your example, above but mine is watching the curve in the correction direction, without flipping the point.  Your test file would be useful.

Sorry I didn't reply any sooner, but I hadn't seen any new notification for this thread.

I'm not sure if you meant my file, as you didn't quote it, but just in case, I attach it here. Flipped curves. I am still on the beta, if it's of any further help.

Also about the hint line, it's a bit hard to see or even remember it exists sometimes, even knowing it is there, cause I know, but I forget, time and again. I just miss it sometimes let alone if my screen is split in two. I can imagine some people not even seeing it at all in cases like this, where all you get is a small text to the left that says "Hover to copy the node" cause its a bit far apart and blended in with the rest of the UI. A bit of colour or something more obvious wouldn't hurt. My 2 cents. Cheers!

flipcopynode.afdesign

• Staff
On 6/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Gear maker said:

Ben, one cause of the hint line not being read is that those of us that use Separated mode don't get to see the hint line.  The better part of a year ago the hint line was showing but I think it disappeared when I had to do a reset of AD.

The node copy feature has been fixed.  It should be in the next release - 1.7.2.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.