You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export, RGB images don't convert to CMYK

Maybe this goes into "unexpected behaviour":

I have a document in CMYK that I want to export to a CMYK PDF. A linked or embedded RGB TIFF is not converted, even if I select "Colour Space: CMYK" and the proper profile in the PDF export settings. In my opinion, it should convert to CMYK if the colour space is set, and it should not convert if "As document" is active in "Colour space".

macOS 10.14.5, Publisher 1.7.0.337

Which output option did you choose? Most PDF standards support RGB images. If you use such a standard, Publisher doen‘t convert images, but leaves this to later prepress steps. Using X-1a will convert RGB images to CMYK, because only CMYK is supported. PDF/X-3 will not convert, because RGB content is allowed.

• Staff

From my tests X-1a will auto convert, however it does look like certain versions (1.7 etc) where we provide the option to convert or not in the More... menu aren't correctly converting even with "Convert image colour spaces" checked. I'll get this looked into.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

20 hours ago, Jon P said:

From my tests X-1a will auto convert, however it does look like certain versions (1.7 etc) where we provide the option to convert or not in the More... menu aren't correctly converting even with "Convert image colour spaces" checked. I'll get this looked into.

This exactly. I can confirm the X-1a setting converts my file to CMYK as expected, including the RGB TIFF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe an issue found from this thread ("RGB TIFFs are always exported as RGB when exporting to PDF") has been fixed in the latest Affinity Publisher beta and should not occur in the initial release of Affinity Publisher next week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.