You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot update to 1.7.0.367 when installed on external hard drive.

I've got Affinity Designer 1.7.0.293 installed on my PC, it was already updated and it works fine, but when I try to update it to 1.7.0.367 it just doesn't work, it says "Caminho inválido" (something like "inavalid path"). Affinity Designer's installed on E:\ and I can't update it.

It'd be very (very very very) cool if we could select where Affinity is installed on the future updates.

Thanks.

Well, I found the solution (if anyone here's getting this error too).

On Windows' cmd, type

[Path]\affinity-designer-customer-beta.exe /extract

A window called "Create MSI" will show up.

image.png.4bb2500baa8b0fb7a5447c76f6dcd5c7.png

Just fill it with your e-mail and product key and put in the Install Path the folder where Designer.exe's located.

A MSI will be generated and it will be automatically installed when you open it.

I'm not sure why that is needed for you. My Affinity applications are all installed on an external hard drive, and all update just fine.

In any case, welcome to the Serif Affinity forums!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, Guedes said:

Not  >for me<, I thought more people were getting that error. To prevent it, it would be useful a way to select the install path.

You can select the path when you first install the program. Then, when updating it obtains the directory information from the Windows registry, where the install location was recorded.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.