Stevo

Affinity Photo crashes on iPad when editing RAW files

Hi,

I recently purchased Affinity Photo for use on an iPad mini 2019.

The app constantly crashes when editing uncompressed RAW files that have been transferred via an SD card/lightning adapter into the Photos app.

Steps to reproduce:

* import an uncompressed ARW RAW file from the Photos app on iPad
* Edit the file in Develop mode
* Adjust settings such as Exposure, Clarity or Shadows/Highlights
The app dies very frequently as the sliders are adjusted and disappears without any error message on screen. All changes are lost.

Specs:

* iPad mini 2019 64GB wifi version
* IOS 12.2
* Affinity Photo 1.6.12
* Files are uncompressed ARW photos from a Sony A7iii.

Hope you can help me resolve this, as I was hoping to use the iPad as my primary editing tool for an upcoming trip. At the moment the app is completely unusable for RAW files with Affinity Photo

I can submit Photo*.ips crash dump files if that would help.

Thanks
/Steve

@Stevo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

The iPad 2019 mini and iPad air 3 have been launched after Affinity Photo 1.6.12 and have a new memory configuration of 3GB (never seen before) Unfortunately 1.6.12 doesn't cope well with this and so can crash when using more than 2GB.

Fortunately, this has been fixed in the next release 1.7.0 which is currently in beta and will be released very shortly. If you would like to try this new beta build there are instructions pinned to the iPad beta forum, or you can PM me by clicking on my picture and then the envelope icon.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Great, I'll try the new beta build as you suggest.

Thanks for the quick reply Patrick!

/Steve

I’m happy to report that the beta version 1.7.0 has solved the issue I was having.

So far not a single crash when editing raw files. Also, the app is very responsive on the iPad mini 5. Looking forward to the official release

/Steve

15 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I’m happy to report that the beta version 1.7.0 has solved the issue I was having.

So far not a single crash when editing raw files. Also, the app is very responsive on the iPad mini 5. Looking forward to the official release

/Steve

very helpful feedback, thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform