You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How set the ruler to zero on facing pages

Yes, we can. – But yet kind of disabld.

In every tool, except hand and zoom,

1. Move the cursor to the meeting point of the horizontal and vertical ruler.
  2. Click-hold and drag the cursor to the spine of your spread. It snaps like a charm.
  3. Release.

Unfortunately, this setting

• – shows the ruler for left page from right to left. Negative.
  • – only works for a while. With a logic that is unrecognizable to me, I lose that preset as soon I ...
    ... use the lower-left-corner page navigation, and/or if
    ... double-clicking in Pages Panel on a number under the icon.
    If I avoid such clicks and instead double click on a page (left / right) of the icon, it will go crazy in the ruler ... an experience that needs to be continued.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:
  • – shows the ruler for left page from right to left. Negative.

But isn't that the logic of a zero point in th e middle of a spread? measurement to the left starts out at zero and counts negative numbers. We cannot have multiple zero points.

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:
  • – only works for a while. With a logic that is unrecognizable to me, I lose that preset as soon I double-clicking in Pages Panel on a number under the icon.

It works for me consistently in a small test document. What can be the difference to your setup?

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

28 minutes ago, dominik said:

But isn't that the logic of a zero point in th e middle of a spread? measurement to the left starts out at zero and counts negative numbers.

Mathematically: yes. – Visually, too?

A spread contains two pages. Let's assume, both are read in same direction. Let's say from left to right. – Then they get designed easier page by page in same ruler direction. For instance to place an object 25 mm from the left edge on both pages.

We cannot have multiple zero points. 

Why shouldn't we?

38 minutes ago, dominik said:

We cannot have multiple zero points.

I would like to see three options for zero points or rulers:
1. per spread (just like it is now)
2. per page (so two zero points on facing pages)
3. on spine (middle of spread)

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

22 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Mathematically: yes. – Visually, too?

Perhaps I'm too technically trained to think that way. But I admit this is something Serif could come up with a solution that is superior to an academic correct solution ;-)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 minutes ago, bebez71 said:

I know that, but what I want

I know that you know that and I want what you want. That made me write what I wrote about dsbld and ... an experience that needs to be continued.

Let's hope a Moderator will want to like the idea of a positive custom zero point ;)

11 minutes ago, ivbera said:

2. per page (so two zero points on facing pages)

As I posted above, an interesting option. I doubt this will make it into the initial release but worth to keep on the suggestions list.

d.

46 minutes ago, dominik said:

Perhaps I'm too technically trained to think that way.

Aren't both you and your answer rather more human trained?

A technical creature like a software like AfPub always is aware of its reading direction. That's why AfPub allows itself to be able yet to enable left-to-right writing only – whereas you, the human @dominik, can do typing char-by-char in different direction. Like Arabia/Asia might prefer.

9 hours ago, thomaso said:

like a software like AfPub always is aware of its reading direction.

I wouldn't call this 'aware' but rather 'restricted'. Because of its 'technical nature' :)

Let's hope for evolution in the direction of more than one typing directions ;-)

d.