You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Mac owner, need software on Windows

Hi Guys, I have software on my mac, bought through Mac store.

I can sign into this forum, but not into the official Affinity site and cant see where to create a new account on that site?

I need to know if I have a license through mac-store purchase, can I have a copy on my windows laptop too. 

Have read on this forum that this is possible.  However, how do I download a copy onto windows laptop?

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Sean o said:

Hi Guys, I have software on my mac, bought through Mac store.

I can sign into this forum, but not into the official Affinity site and cant see where to create a new account on that site?

I need to know if I have a license through mac-store purchase, can I have a copy on my windows laptop too. 

Have read on this forum that this is possible.  However, how do I download a copy onto windows laptop?

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forums :)

it isn't possible to transfer your licence between operating systems I'm afraid you will need to purchase a separate licence for Windows. If possible could you provide me with a link to the forum post you have seen that says this is the case so I can correct it?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum, Love the product, I use it all the time.

I have affinity on my Macbook pro and iPad (I bought separate licenses... which I thought was poor at the time).

However, here is the link on Google, trawl down and you will see quite a few references.

Sean

One person posted this from your license agreement:

level 3

Shouldn't your boss be supplying you with a license for work?

License agreement is here.

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

(ii) if you are a commercial enterprise, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Serif Software for use either: (a) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control; For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

That doesn't say anything about a Mac license being good for Windows, @Sean o. It says you can use a Windows license on multiple Windows computers, which is correct. You can also use a Mac license on multiple Mac computers, and an iPad license on multiple iPad devices. But you cannot use a Mac license on anything but a Mac, nor a Windows license on anything except Windows, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for the reply and explanation. 

So... that's a bad policy for me re-mac and ipad license, yet windows is not penalized in same way?  If I had an windows tablet and windows laptop I can multi-use... yes?

7 minutes ago, Sean o said:

So... that's a bad policy for me re-mac and ipad license, yet windows is not penalized in same way?  If I had an windows tablet and windows laptop I can multi-use... yes?

Windows laptop and Windows tablet are the same OS. Mac and iPad are not. The license is by major OS (Windows, Mac, iOS) type.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, Sean o said:

lastly, any reply on Google link?
It is full of people saying conflicting information.  Some say they are actually doing what you say you cannot???

Can you point to a specific post?

-- Walt
PC:

13 minutes ago, Sean o said:

If you had a Windows tablet you could install Affinity desktop apps on it, but (just as with the Mac desktop apps) you wouldn’t get the same functionality as you get on an iPad.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It maybe so that iOS powers iPad, iPod touch and iPhone and MacBook models run a version of OS X... but they are both APPLE (that's my point)
I also understand that you will point out difference in coding between two operating systems with great deal of similarities. 

However,  APPLE users are actually being penalized, WINDOWS not... that's my point.

I'll buy photoshop on Monthly (I know it will cost more), at least (I believe) works across all of my APPLE machines.

10 hours ago, Sean o said:

It maybe so that iOS powers iPad, iPod touch and iPhone and MacBook models run a version of OS X... but they are both APPLE (that's my point)

DrawPlus and Affinity Designer are both from Serif, but purchasers of a licence for one don’t get a free licence for the other! Each of the software products under discussion has its own development costs.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Sean o said:

I'll buy photoshop on Monthly (I know it will cost more), at least (I believe) works across all of my APPLE machines.

How you spend your money is your choice, of course.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, Sean o said:

APPLE users are actually being penalized, WINDOWS not.

Absolutely NO. Nothing prevents you from using Affinity on several Apple computers, or on several Apple tablets.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Nothing prevents you from using Affinity on several Apple computers, or on several Apple tablets.

But not both! The OP is complaining that a single licence for an Affinity app on Windows allows you to install and use it on any Windows desktop, laptop or tablet device, but a single licence for an Affinity app on an Apple device doesn’t cover all combinations of iMac, MacBook and iPad.

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

but a single licence for an Affinity app on an Apple device doesn’t cover all combinations of iMac, MacBook and iPad.

But on "Windows" also not! 

Windows is the name for the desktop operating system as well as MacOS. The OS for iPad doesn't have Microsoft equivalent, and it's definitely not Windows. If the "tablet" with Windows is mentioned, then it is not a problem to use Affinity on a "tablet" with MacOS. As with Windows, it will not have touch controls, because it is unfortunately reserved only for Apple and its iPad. What an injustice :-)

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

it is not a problem to use Affinity on a "tablet" with MacOS

Show me a tablet that runs on macOS instead of iOS.

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Show me a tablet that runs on macOS instead of iOS.

And for that can Affinity, or Windows?

Simply iPad is a completely different device than a desktop, with a completely different OS and a different way of controlling it. Therefore, it requires a completely different version of Affinity application, to which of course it is necessary to have a different license.

Edited by Pšenda

18 hours ago, Sean o said:

If by all of your "APPLE machines," you mean both Macs & iPads, there is a version of Photoshop that runs on iPads ... but it is still in development & currently lacks some of the features of the desktop Photoshop version. Adobe has indicated that if you are an Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber, it will be included in the monthly subscription price, but there is as yet no indication of how users will be able to install it on their iPads or if Adobe will also offer a standalone version that you can buy instead of rent.

From what I have seen from the demos, the UI shares some similarities with Affinity Photo for iPad ($20 US one time purchase price). It seems likely that, much like the Affinity iPad apps, it is optimized for use with the Apple Pencil, so it won't be a good choice for use with older non-pro iPads that can't support that Apple device.

It is no secret that the desktop version of Photoshop has far more features than the desktop version of Affinity Photo, but it is anybody's guess when (or if) the iPad version of Photoshop will get all or most of the desktop version's features, how well Adobe's new "Cloud PSD" format + local caching scheme actually will work, & of course how much of this Adobe really can deliver before the end of the year.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello. New guy here, contemplating purchasing Photo and Designer for Windows 10. How many installations does 1 license purchase cover? I have several Windows 10 computers at home, desktops and a laptop with touch screen. I'm hoping a license will cover at least 1 desktop and my laptop? And my wife's MacBook, which I understand she'd need a separate license for. I'm OK with that.

thanks!

Sven

2 hours ago, sven.johnson said:

Hello. New guy here, contemplating purchasing Photo and Designer for Windows 10. How many installations does 1 license purchase cover? I have several Windows 10 computers at home, desktops and a laptop with touch screen. I'm hoping a license will cover at least 1 desktop and my laptop? And my wife's MacBook, which I understand she'd need a separate license for. I'm OK with that.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Sven. :)

A single-user licence for the Windows version of an Affinity app allows you to install the software on any Windows machine that you own or control, as long as no one else is using the app for commercial purposes. Likewise, a licence for the Mac version allows the licensee (your wife, in your case) to install the app on any MacBooks or iMacs that she owns or controls, subject to the same ‘commercial use’ restriction.

Alfred spacer.png

• 11 months later...

Hi, I bought Affinity Designer for my iPad in December 2019, purchased it today for my windows laptop, but can not get it to function. I can’t open a new document or use any of the tools they are grayed out. In the left corner under assets it has iOS 12. Don’t know if that’s an indication that it’s reading from my email when I purchased in December on my iPad and that’s the reason I can’t access anything. Please help I have uninstalled and reinstalled but to no avail. 

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Cheryl Woods said:

the tools they are grayed out

Open or New document, menu File.