You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize Canvas problem

I take an jpg image and resize the canvas to 1600x850 px. Now I want to add a border of 50 pixels at the bottom of the image, so I resize the canvas to 1600x900 (open lock) with the anchor point at the top middle. Sometimes this works correct and I get a transparent part at the bottom, but most of the time the image is resized (deformed) by 50 pixels instead of enlarging the canvas. It works correctly on my iPad, but all the windows versions including beta 1.7.0.350 seem to have this problem.

Sometimes the program adds a border at the bottom but only half the size, so in my case 25 pixels. (see included picture)

The behavior seems to be different for different pictures, one picture resizes correctly while an other doesn't, very weird.

As far as I found out it works correctly if the image wasn't resized before, so if I open a picture and resize the canvas it works fine. But if I take the very same picture, resize it to 1600x850 and then try to add the border resizing the canvas to 1600x900 it fails.

25 px.png

1 hour ago, Arachnida said:

But if I take the very same picture, resize it to 1600x850 and then try to add the border resizing the canvas to 1600x900 it fails.

This is confusing..., in your screenshot you show the crop tool in use and the history says "Resize Crop"

How exactly are you resizing your image/canvas when it goes wrong

What tools and what steps do you take?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi carl123,

the crop tool was only used to show that the added border at the bottom is not 50 but 25 px. I sometimes use it to measure things.

Sorry for the confusion, as you can see English is not my native language.

1: Open an image (jpg with a size > 1600x850)

2: Using the CROP tool I crop the image to 1600x850, OR resize the canvas to 1600x850.

3: Using the Document\RESIZE CANVAS is set following options: Unlock the lock symbol/1600 x 900px/Anchor top middle (see pic 3)

4: I apply and the image is enlarged into the bigger canvas (see pic 2)

The picture with the transparent border is what I want, this screenshot was taken after opening an already resized picture at 1600x850 and then resizing it at 1600x900. So if I export the picture in between the first crop (or resize) and the final resize it works as it should. (See pic 1)

Cheers,

arachnida

Screenshot - 30_05_2019 , 13_51_27.png

Screenshot - 30_05_2019 , 13_50_06.png

Screenshot - 30_05_2019 , 13_48_11.png

Edited by Arachnida

• Staff

Hi Arachnida,
When using  the Crop Tool (which is non-destructive in Affinity Photo), the cropped parts are still present (although not visible) and may affect other operations done after the crop. To prevent this from happening go to menu Layer > Rasterise & Trim, to get rid of the cropped (hidden) parts after your perform the crop. Then proceed as usual. It should then work as you expect.

• Staff

Hi Arachnida,
Sorry the delay getting back to you.Yes, it's the same on iPad. If you crop an image using the Crop Tool, change to the Move Tool and select the image again you will see the bounding box extending 
beyond what's visible in the canvas (it's the hidden cropped data). To get rid of it, tap the ellipsis icon on the top left of the interface, select Rasterise, then Rasterise & Trim. If you check the image again you will see that the bounding box (the blue line) now matches the canvas area.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.