You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spell check not working.

It could be a few things

For starters, check the Character Studio and in the Language section see what the spelling is set to

Also uploading a sample APub file where the spelling does not work may reveal the problem quicker

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

As carl says, it could be no language is applied to the text to spellcheck against, or check while typing is turned off.

If it's neither of these things please attach your file if possible and we can look at why it might not be working.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I also have problems, the spell check is set to English the Characters are set to English UK, check while typing is turned on. but is not learning any words it just keeps showing the same words..

Also if i am checking a story in say page 10 it decides it wants to check page 2.and as above keeps checking the same words on that one page.

This is happening on Beta 337 on a W7 pc also in the latest Beta 371 on a W8 pc.

Edited by John T
extra info added

• Staff

John T, can you reproduce it on a new document? I've just started a new document and it seems to be performing as I would expect.

Any chance you can attach a video demonstrating the issue?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Having the same problem here. No problem in a new document though!

I have a master document for a newsletter; go in and add text, pictures etc. Save as a new document specific to that content. Then spellchecker is not working.

Creat a totally new document, import the same text and spellchecker now does work!

1 minute ago, WildCottage said:

I have a master document for a newsletter

Uploading that, may help investigate the problem

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Wild Cottage,

I typed some miss spelt text in to your newsletter with check while typing.

It underlined the wrong text but would not find an alternative. I also tried as suggested in the help page highliting the word and right clicking to bring up the spell check but nothing happened. It kept defaulting to Oystercatcher.

I have just copied some of my text with unusual names into a new document and Publisher found them and added to the dictionary.

Will have to have a play about.

11 hours ago, Jon P said:

John T, can you reproduce it on a new document? I've just started a new document and it seems to be performing as I would expect.

Any chance you can attach a video demonstrating the issue?

Hi still having problems, here are the files sorry about the video not used this before

thanks;

Vol 34 1 Aug 2019 spel check errors.afpub

Sorry for the late reply. I was away.
This was not in a document I was working on. My friend told me his spell check wasn't working so I just created a new file and typed a single line in with an obviously wrong word. And nothing was found. The language is set to english united kingdom. I just tried with a second document created a blank page.. A text box and added a line with an incorrect word. I do have check while typing on and nothing happened. I ran spell check and again nothing. I tried changing the language to english US but it didn't fix it.

Is there another setting I may be forgetting?

35 minutes ago, Terkoz said:

Sorry for the late reply. I was away.
This was not in a document I was working on. My friend told me his spell check wasn't working so I just created a new file and typed a single line in with an obviously wrong word. And nothing was found. The language is set to english united kingdom. I just tried with a second document created a blank page.. A text box and added a line with an incorrect word. I do have check while typing on and nothing happened. I ran spell check and again nothing. I tried changing the language to english US but it didn't fix it.

Is there another setting I may be forgetting?

Just to be sure: When you say "the language is set to ..." are you referring to the Language/Spelling setting in the Character Panel?

And, if so, are you sure that it's assigned to the text. If you put the cursor in the middle of that text, is the language setting correct?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to be sure: When you say "the language is set to ..." are you referring to the Language/Spelling setting in the Character Panel?

And, if so, are you sure that it's assigned to the text. If you put the cursor in the middle of that text, is the language setting correct?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do.

Okay that was it. Thanks Walt. I was going by the language setting in the general preferences tab. After what you said I spent a few minutes going over every inch of the screen before noticing the closed language section on the right display column. In it the spelling setting was set to unknown. Once I set that properly the auto spell check kicked in.

I have to say though this is a bit unintuitive. I'm not a heavy publisher user but I have never before had to set a language for every new document. I just created a new one and it defaulted to unknown. Surely it makes sense to default to the language in the general settings? 99% of people will never use more than the one language so this is really and unnecessary step for each new document. Or if it must be set each time make it part of the new document window.

I'll pass the info to my friend. Thanks again sir for the help. Much appreciated.

You're welcome. I'm not sure why it's defaulting to None for the Spelling Language. Mine currently defaults to English (US), but my UI language is set to English (UK).

It may simply be remembering the last setting that you used, or possibly you have used the Save Defaults function some time while the language was set to None. Sorry, but I'm not willing right now to reset Publisher completely to see what the true default is for a new installation :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you the fix in 384 has resolved my spell check error where it was checking a page of text and dive off somewhere else.

Also without changing any settings the spell check is now learning and saving new words.

Selecting text with keyboard would switch between pages at the wrong point

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.