You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking question from example file

Hi, I am unsure how this mask was created. I would expect the black parts of the mask to show the masked object while hiding the rest, instead this mask does the opposite.

• Does anyone know how to replicate this? 
  • The mask has a symbol in the bottom right of the icon don't know where a legend is for reading these?

Please see attached example.

mask-cutout.thumb.png.b7f532d75c620d42318348462037c5f4.png

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

mask-cutout.afdesign

original source file

Edited by para8D
additional info

The icon on the Mask layer is generally the symbol to denote masking, so a solid over a transparent background, the symbol on the bottom curve layer denotes a clipping or cropping, if you look at the crop tool icon they are similar designs.

To create a Mask

1. Draw a large rectangle and a small rectangle above a shape
  2. Move the small rectangle so that it sits over the corner of the larger rectangle
  3. Select both rectangles and boolean subtract them so you have a curve layer Layer > Geometry > Subtract
  4. You could also use the corner options in the rectangles context menu to make the notch without having to draw two rectangles
  5. Now select Rasterise to mask from the layer menu
  6. The curve layer will change to a mask layer and can be placed as a child layer to mask the parent layer

To create a clipping layer just drag what ever shape you draw onto the layer you want to clip.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Layers/layerClip.html

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Layers/LayerMasks.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence thanks for the reply. Ah yes I keep forgetting about the crop tool thanks. 

Using those steps i wasn't able to reproduce the example. I modified the approach to use a black shape for the cutout and include a larger white background to act as a mask for the remainder of the object. This has the consequence of the masked object to be clipped by the boundaries of the mask. 

The original example isn't confined in such a manner. It merely acts as an eraser on the cutout section while leaving the rest of the object.

I attached a video and youtube link to highlight these differences and my steps to produce an approximation.

I know there are other ways to achieve this but I find it perplexing to not know how this one was done! 

Cheers

2019-05-31 20-43-49.flv