You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.7.0.350 no longer reading EXIF data consistently

For some RAWs, the EXIF data is complete and accurate; in some it is incomplete, and in others it is inaccurate. I used RAW images from two bodies and a variety of lenses: the RAW images had the same (long stable) firmware for all the photos being discussed, but the firmware (and models of the two bodies) were different from each other.

In the menu bar with "Develop /Cancel" above the file name, the EXIF information may be correct, incorrect lens data, or camera only.

For one camera (SD14), it showed only the resolution and size in output megapixels, camera model, and an incorrect lens. For another RAW photo, the information was complete and accurate. For another camera (SD1M), it shows same camera and image info info except zero lens info, and another RAW had complete and accurate (improved details and accurate, even).

The Focus sidebar information looks correct, and for the first camera again (SD14) EXIF info appears correct except XML "auxLens" is wrong. Another RAW file was missing about 50-70% of all its XML data.

This only occurs on some photos, but on other photos, the information was correct. And in fact, on some photos, it is now more accurate: it is now not only showing the correct tele zoom, but it also indicated "+2x" to show that a 2x tele converter had been installed on the lens. It did not indicate the specific teleconverter used - just the magnification factor.

For the missing or inaccurate lens EXIF data RAW files, I couldn't edit the lens correction data. In this version it also seems to take longer to restore the UI when tabbing from a minimized state to a full screen state: the image appears immediately, but outer background takes about 1-2 seconds, then menus filling over top of the background takes an additional 1-2 seconds. And I'm not certain, but I may have had inconsistent information displayed from the same image (accidentally) opened several images later.

I had done a lot of tests on the betas two through four versions ago, but not much on this one or the next most recent one version before this current one. It is possible that the same behaviour existed and I didn't see it. However, in the betas prior to these two most recent, I did not see this behaviour, and I had done much more extensive testing (I have an existing beta issue currently being analyzed by the devs, where RAW images from one of the cameras, the SD1M (same as the other Merrill sensor cameras), requires heavy denoising, which throws away an abnormal amount of image detail: whereas the SD14 body processes perfectly noiseless and razor sharp output for well lit images, even when zero sharpening and zero denoising are applied).

Thanks!

Could you please post where to upload them, and I can name them accordingly with the "86518" threadname in the title? I had thought all were innocuous but some have personally identifiable information. Thanks!

Thank you Chris.
As an update, the new beta version exhibits the same behaviour as 1.7.0.350. After uploading the image last night, I reviewed several others.

However, upon looking through them, several which had demonstrated the problem, most of those no longer show that same problem. All I'm seeing now are the occasional incorrect EXIF data, and I'm having a hard time trying to find all those incomplete EXIF files. I now think it's because I upgraded Affinity Photo Beta and resumed testing without restarting my computer. Perhaps some temp files weren't cleaned up and read by the new install, and were incorrectly parsing the EXIF, resulting in missing chunks of the EXIF dataset. So please lower the importance and urgency of this item to EXIF wrong lenses reported, rather than incomplete EXIF.

While I haven't exhaustively checked through my files, it was very easy to find problem examples before, and now it's not, and the EXIF data, even when it's wrong, seems now to be complete. If anyone has the same issue, I suggest having them restart rather than upgrading betas.

I do still hope the raw import for the SD1 camera can be improved (don't know if it's some kind of LibRaw demosaicing or some other issue) as it still requires so much denoising (especially colour noise removal) as to render the images looking like they have undergone some kind of painterly detail-reducing effect. I have been reporting that since end of last year. Thank you again.

I am using Affinity Photo 1.7.0 on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.14.5. I took photos in RAW format and uploaded them to the "Photos" ap on my Mac. All the EXIF data is there in Photos. However, when I open the photos in Affinity, the only EXIF data that appears is the size. All other data is shown as "n/a". Is there some sort of preference setting I need to adjust or is this a bug in Affinity? If so are developers aware of it and working on a fix? Thanks.

Mac %22Photos%22.jpg

Affinity.jpg

• Staff
5 hours ago, pittsborojim said:

I am using Affinity Photo 1.7.0 on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.14.5. I took photos in RAW format and uploaded them to the "Photos" ap on my Mac. All the EXIF data is there in Photos. However, when I open the photos in Affinity, the only EXIF data that appears is the size. All other data is shown as "n/a". Is there some sort of preference setting I need to adjust or is this a bug in Affinity? If so are developers aware of it and working on a fix? Thanks.

Would you mind uploading the raw files into this private Dropbox folder for me please? We want to start looking into this ASAP. Thanks! :) 

I solved my own problem in an "EUREKA!" moment. Maybe my blunder will help someone else. It has been awhile since I have edited photos & I forgot an essential step in my workflow. What I did was upload pics from my camera to the "Photos" ap on my Mac, then I dragged a photo directly from "Photos" onto the AP icon on my Mac's taskbar. What I was SUPPOSED to do was EXPORT the photos as original files from "Photos" to my Mac, THEN drag these exported photos onto the AP taskbar. All is now well. BTW - I'm impressed with your really prompt reply!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.