You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inconsistencies between Fill on Context Toolbar, in Swatches Panel, and in document

Experimenting with a file from a topic in Publisher Beta Bugs on Mac I noticed something odd. 

First, here's the .afpub file and the .tif file linked in it:

170337 transparency alpha.afpub
transparency 8bit grayscale alpha.tif

And here's the PDF the OP in that other topic created from those files:

170337 transparency alpha.pdf

The problem: If I open the .afpub file, and replace the linked files, and select one of the embedded/linked image objects with the Move Tool, I can see from the Context Toolbar and the Swatches Panel that it has a Fill:

image.thumb.png.2fab0262e95aa1aed2036e4836a16e0b.png

However, if I open the PDF he made from the .afpub file, and select that same object, I do not see the fill in either the Context Toolbar or the Swatches Panel:

image.thumb.png.67f5f3e139bcbf87ded5fa56cbdfd57d.png

If I specify a Fill, it shows up in both places, but the existing Fill is not acknowledged by Publisher.

Note: All 4 images are the same black oval, with different Fill values specified in the .afpub file that was used to create the PDF. The lack of transparency around the colored ovals in the .afpub screenshot is part of that other topic.

Additional problem, or at least something I do not understand. If I assign a fill to either the turquoise or lavender ovals, the fill displayed in the image is less intense than the color I selected:

image.thumb.png.197c4dedd769a03d1d7b60bbe5e6af7b.png

However, the orange oval accepts and displays my new chosen fill color accurately. Why does that happen, and why doesn't it happen with the turquoise and lavender images?

Thanks.

image.png

170337 transparency alpha.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Walt, 

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This is all expected. 

However, if I open the PDF he made from the .afpub file, and select that same object, I do not see the fill in either the Context Toolbar or the Swatches Panel:

The new image will have the "fill" baked into it, and not applied as an adjustment. 

However, the orange oval accepts and displays my new chosen fill color accurately. Why does that happen, and why doesn't it happen with the turquoise and lavender images?

The fill is applied based on the colour's luminance. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 12.34.46 PM.png

So it will only be that colour at 50% gray/luminance

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.