You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported PDF file has wrong page width

I am trying to upload a photo book pdf to White Wall. 

White Wall requires the format 302 x 216 mm for my book. I set up the (master) pages accordingly, but White Wall reports an error: Page width 216.1 mm instead of the required 216 mm.

I checked all master pages and pages and had them recalculated. Again the error message after the upload.

I reduced the page width to 215.9 mm. White Wall reports 215.9 instead of 216 mm as wrong page width.

I corrected the pages back to 216 mm width. White Wall reported 216.1 mm.

I've had similar export problems in Affinity Designer before. Am I making a mistake? Is it a bug?

Thank you.

image.png.dfc9e32ae2b7346e8204c09c5b8e5abf.png

image.png.f7730344eb2e133ef5760bdfb269be18.png

Christian

12 hours ago, cditfurth said:

I reduced the page width to 215.9 mm. White Wall reports 215.9 instead of 216 mm as wrong page width.

I corrected the pages back to 216 mm width. White Wall reported 216.1 mm.

What happens if you set the width to 215.95 or 215.96 mm? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm having the same issue here.

Created simple two sided business cards in CMYK via 2 same artboards, 85 x 55 mm with 2 mm bleed, 3 spot colors.

When I export them to PDF (PDF 1X settings set to honor spot colors, include bleed and convert text to curves, add crop marks).
first page is ok, the other one
has width +0.09 mm (Acrobat states document size is ok, while I try to import to Photoshop, click the first page, it states width: 101,62 mm, height 71,65 mm. Second page states widht 101,71 and height is ok, 71,65 mm. Weird.

When I do the same and just don't include registration marks, the document exports with correct dimensions though.

So might registration marks be the culprint?

Just now, cditfurth said:

Thanks. AP does not accept the second digit after the comma. It rounds up to 216.

Affinity uses all the decimal places you specify, but you have control over how many display in the user interface. In Preferences for User Interfaces you can increase the number of decimal places it will display, based on the unit type. Try increasing the number of displayed decimal places for millimeters.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity uses all the decimal places you specify, but you have control over how many display in the user interface. In Preferences for User Interfaces you can increase the number of decimal places it will display, based on the unit type. Try increasing the number of displayed decimal places for millimeters.

Thank you. Id so. This time White Wall doesn't say that the layout doesn't fit. They say that there are pages with different measures. But there are no pages with different measures as I have controled it in AP and in Acrobat.

ww-message.jpg

ap-layout.jpg

Additional information: I loaded the PDF into Photoshop and saved it as a new PDF via File --> Automate --> PDF Presentation. When I loaded the PDF, Photoshop actually showed me different measures than Affinity Publisher. These were deviations in tenths of a millimeter. I corrected them to the format required by White Wall. And see, White Wall accepted this PDF as correct. It seems to me that Affinity Publisher is not accurate enough when exporting PDF files.

• Staff

Thanks for the additional info, glad you got it sent off. I was hoping the new build would have this issue resolved as part of another fix but it doesn't seem to be the case so I have logged it for our developers to look into further.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thank you. Although the Affinity Publisher still has bugs in the beta phase, it is already clear that it will be a pleasure to work with the purchase version. I have used some layout programs - most recently Quark Express - but I don't know of one that would be so intuitive to use, although it offers a variety of possibilities.

I have had a similar problem when uploading to KDP. It always says it is off by .01mm which is enough to cause problems. Fortunately, KDP can automatically fix this. It hasn't mattered if I add .01 to the bleed or the margins or wherever. So, I have just let KDP take care of it so far.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.