You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Out to Lunch

LonnieK

Hi, LonnieK,

You are progressing quickly, and well. The simulation of the optically broken straw is quite good.

The only thing that doesn't convince me is the green stuff under the bun. Perhaps break it into three pieces, and rumple each one differently.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 5/30/2019 at 1:57 AM, LonnieK said:

I became a student of vector art when I purchased Affinity Designer just 2 months ago. Here is one of my first efforts. Any constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.

Lunch Time.jpg

The glass with coke is beautifully executed. The background works very well with the glass. Sometimes colour contrast works great too, but the harmony between background and the coke is very soothening.

Viewed from a distance it all makes sense. Viewed closer the two items are too different. The glass has a very realistic organic look while the burger looks like (quality) clip art and the noise does not look realistic. Burger buns dont have that kind of fine grained texture and they do reflect light like glass, just not as much. The salad needs a lot more work. :) The burger is also too symmetric.

If I was you I would be proud of my work and continue improving the burger. Make sure it has the same visual style as the drink. Use one or more photos as inspiration. Google brioche buns. With a few clever tricks it won't take long. A few improvements and I wouldn't mind hanging it in my kitchen. 

Best regards :)

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

That's better, I was going to say the bun looks too grainy but you beat me too it lol! The highlight gives the bun more 3D depth. Studying an object is as much about the art as drawing it. The coke could do with being a bit darker, although that's just personal taste.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

The coke could do with being a bit darker, although that's just personal taste.

I agree, but to me the colour of the coke isn’t off as noticeably as the colour of the lettuce. That green is much too bright, in my opinion.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Exhibit A. More of a yellow green than a chip shop pea green. Chippie near us has neon green peas lol!
Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-14-28-15.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, LonnieK said:

Thank you all for your helpful comments. You encouraged me to delve a bit more deeply into the AD Pixel Persona. Based on your input, I made some changes to the image. Better?

cheeseburger.jpg

The bun is much better now. Well done. I would prefer more work on the meat etc. but from a certain distance is looks great too.

BTW. I think they are too close?

Make a print. You will be surprised. ;)

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Where's the tomatoes, gherkins and jalapeno's  :D