Sign in to follow this  
cmccomas

Bitmap Transparency for Vector Shapes

I would like to see the ability to apply a bitmap transparency in the same way you can apply a bitmap fill with the same capabilities. The bitmap would be used for transparency based on the brightness/luminosity of each pixel. In effect, converting whatever image is loaded to a greyscale image and using that for transparency. This could be used to create all sorts of tiled effects. Some other programs do this already and it is a very useful capability. 

If you are talking about tiled bitmap fill, how do you do it?

Adding a transparency map works like any mask operation but I do not know about tiling...?

The bitmap transparency fill would tile the same way the bitmap fill tiles today. It in reality it is the same as the bitmap fill it just uses the luminosity of the image to set opacity. Xara does a great job with this feature. You could then have a tillable fill and tillable transparency on the same object without the complexity of mask layers, etc. In reality, if you could have a bitmap fill, a bitmap transparency and a bitmap displacement map all applied to a shape, you could create some very interesting and realistic effects. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 5.58.13 PM.png

9 hours ago, cmccomas said:

The bitmap transparency fill would tile the same way the bitmap fill tiles today

Then I assume there is no bitmap fill feature in Affinity today. Fill command has many exciting choises but no bitmap.

There is a bitmap fill. However this option is not there for transparency only for fill. I would like to see the ability to use a bitmap for transparency as well and have it make the shape transparent based on the luminosity of the image that is being used. 

fill.png

Though if you want it inside vector graphic you just have to Paste Inside or drag it in to position in Layers palette. It does not repeat though, it is just a single graphic. You can add a pixel image as a mask also but it takes some fiddlin.