You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to change the keyboard shortcuts to cycle between tabs?

I'd like to change the keyboard shortcuts for how I cycle through tabs. I've been looking for a way to change the keyboard shortcut for it within the app but I haven't found it yet. Am I missing it somewhere? Perhaps it's called something I didn't expect?

Is this what you are after?

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Miscellaneous > Next Window & Previous Window

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I have them in 1.6 and 1.7 beta - but I am on Windows, so perhaps Mac is different?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Really?

Cos I thought Views were quite a different thing!

See bottom of https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Panels/navigatorPanel.html

One open document can have many saved Views that home in on different parts of the document.

Where Next Window cycles between multiple open documents.

Just now, Aammppaa said:

One open document can have many saved Views that home in on different parts of the document.

No, those are "View Points". They are different from Views. You get a new View by View > New View.

6 minutes ago, HYR said:

Oh it's called "view"? So `Switch to Next View` and `Switch to Previous View`.

There are Views (which are created by View > New View, and which may be in tabs or floating windows), View Points (created in the Navigator Panel), and opened documents (which may be in tabs or floating windows).

On Windows, we have shortcut keys for Next Window (e.g., document), Previous Window (document), and Switch to Next View. If I remember correctly (I do not have time to experiment at the moment) Switch to Next View cycles only between the different views of a document that you have created by using View > New View.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I appreciate it, but I'm not sure if that really clears it up for me. I still find it confusing on the Mac version by itself but also confusing that it'd be called something different on Windows. 

I guess I don't understand the difference between views and views I can create via the dropdown menu and tabs/documents. 

42 minutes ago, HYR said:

I guess I don't understand the difference between views and views I can create via the dropdown menu and tabs/documents. 

A View Point (created in the Navigator Panel) lets you easily move to a different defined spot in your document, with a specified zoom level. The Navigator allows both zooming, and moving around in the document, and a View Point combines both of those functions. You select a View Point in the Navigator, and it moves you there and changes the zoom as appropriate.

When you open a document (or create a new one) it will be either in a tab or a floating window, depending on your chosen configuration, and the tab or window gives you a "view" of your document. You can create another View of that document using View > New View, which gives you a different way of looking at your document. It will also be in a tab or window, and you can navigate within it or zoom it separately from the original view that you had when you opened or created the document. It is synchronized with the original view in that any changes made to either are shown in the other.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.