You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Paragraph Numbering

Hi,

I found some problems regarding paragraph numbering (there is a test file attached "styles test.afpub"). Please, open it together with "numbering styles.png" and compare:

1. Try to assign "Body" style to paragraph starting with "2." which has a "Body - Level 1" style assigned. Paragraphs starting with "3." and "4." should be renumbered as "2." and "3." but they are renumbered as "1." and "2.", instead.
  2. Codes for this paragraph numbering style ("Body - Level 1") are missing, but they exist in "Body - Level 2".
  3. What is this field for?
  4. When I uncheck this field "Restart numbering now", next time it appears as half chacked (with little square inside).

styles test.afpub

numbering styles.png

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

19 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Try to assign "Body" style to paragraph starting with "2." which has a "Body - Level 1" style assigned. Paragraphs starting with "3." and "4." should be renumbered as "2." and "3." but they are renumbered as "1." and "2.", instead.

This is because of how the style is set up. We have an option Restart numbering which defaults to Any Non-List, and your style does not change that default. Change it to Below Current Level to get the behaviour you expect. The default is intended to make it easier to format blocks of text as numbered lists without having to set Restart numbering now on the first paragraph.

Codes for this paragraph numbering style ("Body - Level 1") are missing, but they exist in "Body - Level 2".

On my Mac the Level 1 style shows as [No change]. Presumably whoever created the style felt that the default was OK for level 1, but wanted something different for level 2.

What is this field for? 

Two lists with the same name will be numbered consecutively even if the paragraphs they are applied to are intermingled with different lists. The Global checkbox will make the numbering consecutive across different stories, too. Useful for things like auto-numbering figure captions.

When I uncheck this field "Restart numbering now", next time it appears as half chacked (with little square inside).

Half-checked means that the style does not change this field. Instead the setting will be inherited from a base style, or left unchanged at whatever the text the style is applied to had it. The checkbox should cycle between checked, unchecked and half-checked each time you click it.

8 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

On my Mac the Level 1 style shows as [No change]. Presumably whoever created the style felt that the default was OK for level 1, but wanted something different for level 2.

I created that style and, at first, all codes where there, but when I opened the style again they simply dissapeared.

9 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Half-checked means that the style does not change this field. Instead the setting will be inherited from a base style, or left unchanged at whatever the text the style is applied to had it. The checkbox should cycle between checked, unchecked and half-checked each time you click it.

I want that check box to be blank (or checked), but everytime I open the text style it becomes again half checked.

15 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Two lists with the same name will be numbered consecutively even if the paragraphs they are applied to are intermingled with different lists. The Global checkbox will make the numbering consecutive across different stories, too. Useful for things like auto-numbering figure captions.

A really, really great feature. I didn't try it yet, but I am sure it will save a lot of time and nerves regarding others DTP software.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

About outline numbering of paragraphs:

Having in mind you've already done some compromises for InDesign and Quark users I would like to know if this is possible to be done in Publisher BUT using only ONE text style.

See the attachment which is an abstract of Quark Users Guide for version 2018. There are various combinations of numbering.

abstract.pdf

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.