You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Topaz JPG To RAW image

I am not sure that this post belongs in the beta or regular AP forum, or even sure if it should be in either, but I think it may be an AP issue and I did want to raise visibility in case it is a real issue.

Topaz is marketing an app called JPG to RAW that users can use to create dng files from jpg images. While I don't know exactly what it does to the jpg to produce a dng, and I do not know if the resulting image is any different or better than what the free Adobe DNG converter produces, I did want to give it a try. I generally shoot in raw so ignored this app when it was first released, but tried it yesterday out of curiosity. I do shoot my backup photos in jpg so there is that, and my Olympus E-M1.2 does automatic de-fishing of images I take with my 8mm fisheye, but those images are (of course) jpgs so I might have some use for it.

In any case I loaded the resulting dng file into Photoshop ACR opened it and the auto-adjust looked just fine. I did not have to do anything.

I then loaded it into Affinity Photo (both the regular and the Beta) and got a terribly over-exposed image. When I tried to compensate by lowering the exposure (2+ stops) the result was badly tinted as well. You can see both screen shots here (PS) and here (APB).

As I said I do not know that this is an AP/APB bug but thought the developers at Serif might want to know. I would be happy to send the actual dng image if desired.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.